My 2009 Rockhopper Expert

dimmockg
dimmockg Posts: 471
edited March 2013 in Your mountain bikes
thought i'd add a few piccies of my ride, started off as an original spec 2009 Rockhopper Expert, some bits changed as parts have worn (cassette, chain), some bits changed for weight saves (tires, tubes, saddle, slx crank), some bits changed for performance (xt shifters) and some bits for purely cosmetic reasons (salsa lock, crank bros split, thomson etc)

Changes i've made as follows:

XT shifters
XT front mech
SLX crank
Thomson Elite seat post
Charge Knife saddle
Specialized lock-on grips
Salsa lip lock
Crank brothers QR skewers
Sram PG970 cassette
Schwalbe Racing Ralph evo on rear
Schwalbe Jimmy Light evo on front
Continental light inner-tubes

Pics:

bike2.jpg

bike1.jpg

bike3.jpg

Next on the list is certainly a set of wheels, not quite 100% sure which set to go for but will make a decision very soon.

I did actually look in my LBS today, just to see prices and spec today and its certainly changed a fair bit over the last couple of years!!

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    dimmockg wrote:
    I did actually look in my LBS today, just to see prices and spec today and its certainly changed a fair bit over the last couple of years!!
    as in, not for the better? i really have to ask, are you sure you have ever used that bike? looks brand new, very nice :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • dimmockg
    Just seems like you pay the same or more for less spec, or at least that's how it seemed

Lol, yeah it has been used pretty much at least 4 days a week since I've had it. Only light trails when off road and something I always do is really look after my kit, I've just recently stripped it, cleaned, re-lubed or re-greased and put back together. Plus there is a new chain and cassette on there
  • Nice looking bike, you got your bike around the same time as i got my rockhopper, one thing for sure the rockhopper isnt like it used to be after i seen the recent price of it in the shop...0.0

Out of interest how does the Thomson seatpost compare to the standard one? as im thinking about replacing mine after...cof cof 3 years loll
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • dimmockg
    Yeah it is a lovely bike thanks :) was very loosely thinking of changing but couldn't get anything close to this without spending significant money so this is a keeper until it falls apart!!!

Yeah that's exactly what I thought, spec has taken a real tumble in my opinion. I was lucky with mine, got it as end of line from lbs for £100 less than rrp at the time, think it was £750 and not £850.

I opted for Thomson as found myself needing a little push back in the saddle every now and again, since this has been fitted I've not had to do that so the layback works perfectly for me. Really nice post and got it from crc for £47
  • dimmockg
    annual update....

since previous info I have:

changed rear mech to zee
    change xt shifters to zee
    dropped triple front and gone 1 x 10 with hope 36t and slx 11-36
    answer carbon bar
    answer stem
    nukeproof flat pedals
    foam grips (so wish id used foam before)
    dt swiss x1600 wheels & furious fred on front

pics:

WP_20130317_004_zpsa3f49b0a.jpg

WP_20130317_001_zpsdf2ccdb3.jpg

WP_20130317_003_zpsc1954e75.jpg

WP_20130317_002_zps789b5590.jpg
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Looks cool; how is the Zee Mech?
  • dimmockg
    really good IMO, but I haven't abused it
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nice but why zee mech and shifters? Seems like an odd choice for an xc bike.
  • dimmockg
    Wanted to go 1 x 10, this was the cheapest option for me :)