Wind burn avoidance

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
So I went for a ride early on Saturday morning to pick up a hire van. Apparently when I arrived there it was -7..
Later that day I realised I had sore thighs from wind burn, and a sore patch on *ahem* something else.
What's the standard way to avoid this? I tend to run hot & wouldn't really want to wear too much more (currently on dhb bib tights)
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• The only real way to avoid it sounds simple but may not be & that is change your bibs for ones with some extra wind proof protection? Or you could always try a different brand.

After being out myself on Saturday I found I didn't need my deep cold bibs but I own a pair that are over type bibs and they kept most of the exposure to extreme cold at bay.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Windtex bib tights, like my Biemme Coronados, have wind-proof panels on the front. It's not much warner than normal fabric, until the wind is painful.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yeah, scrap the DHB bibs - they are no good in cold weaher. You need something windproof or lined with that "roubaix" fleece stuff.

I went out in Jan in my DHB's, the old chap nearly got frostbitten.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Yeah, scrap the DHB bibs - they are no good in cold weaher. You need something windproof or lined with that "roubaix" fleece stuff.

I went out in Jan in my DHB's, the old chap nearly got frostbitten.

Whoops, realised they aren't DHB, they're northwave. Probably going to send back anyway as all the zipper tabs broke within about a week of buying & I've gotten fed up with fiddling with the broken metal end.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5