Showers....

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
So I've been interviewing all over for a new job and am now coming to the final stages with a couple of firms. One of them doesn't have a shower in the building which is an utter b#gger... When I cycle or run to work I NEED a shower so don't suggest a slow pootle followed by a smear with a baby wipe, it ain't gonna work for me. It's so annoying because most other firms I have interviewed with have had showers and sometimes even bike parking available, it's just typical that one of the best options has neither...

Does anyone know if any gym chains do "shower only" membership? Have I got any other choices?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    These things are always negotiable, particularly in the current economic climate. That said, I pay full whack - I quite like being able to make occasional use of a gym.
  • Headhuunter
    I've already got gym membership which I like, it's just that the nearest one is a fair way away so I'd need something a bit closer...
  • Sadly I looked into the 'shower only' membership and came up blank. Where is your preferred option based? There is a place H2 in Soho, with another in London Wall opening this year, but its not cheap.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I've already got gym membership which I like, it's just that the nearest one is a fair way away so I'd need something a bit closer...
    If it's a Fitness First then they do do single club memberships which'll be a bit cheaper. Whether that's enough to make it worth paying just for a shower I don't know...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    If it's a Fitness First then they do do single club memberships which'll be a bit cheaper. Whether that's enough to make it worth paying just for a shower I don't know...

Yeah there is a FF not far away, perhaps I should ask about that...
  • If you happen to be in the heart of Mayfair, and looking at the FF in Berkeley Square, then please consider the Lansdowne - once you're in they're considerably cheaper than the FF, and have a pool and cheap hotel rooms, subsidised drinks etc.

If you're not in Mayfair or looking at that FF, ignore this message :D
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If you happen to be in the heart of Mayfair, and looking at the FF in Berkeley Square, then please consider the Lansdowne - once you're in they're considerably cheaper than the FF, and have a pool and cheap hotel rooms, subsidised drinks etc.

I remember you mentioning this place before. They do bellyflop competitions

img_30_612.jpg
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    As above, most places will be keen for business so it's worth negotiating. I previously joined one of the big chains for £25 a month in the City, only limitation was I could only use it before 11am. When you talk to them offer to pay for 6 months up front, they are often willing to give you a further discount.

Other things to try - see if they will do discounts for your office, or if your place has a deal already. Also worth asking round to see what other people at work are paying, or check gumtree and other listing sites - people often sell memberships that they have paid for upfront at a discount.
  • I pay £50 a month just to shower. Definitely worth it. The rare times I get the tube reminds me of that. I did use the treadmill once or twice but I can't be bothered any more.
  • Headhuunter
    Canny Jock wrote:
    As above, most places will be keen for business so it's worth negotiating. I previously joined one of the big chains for £25 a month in the City, only limitation was I could only use it before 11am. When you talk to them offer to pay for 6 months up front, they are often willing to give you a further discount.

Other things to try - see if they will do discounts for your office, or if your place has a deal already. Also worth asking round to see what other people at work are paying, or check gumtree and other listing sites - people often sell memberships that they have paid for upfront at a discount.

Thanks, that's interesting. Which chain was that? I need a gym in the City
  • dhope wrote:
    If you happen to be in the heart of Mayfair, and looking at the FF in Berkeley Square, then please consider the Lansdowne - once you're in they're considerably cheaper than the FF, and have a pool and cheap hotel rooms, subsidised drinks etc.

I remember you mentioning this place before. They do bellyflop competitions

img_30_612.jpg

The guy without the hat won, I reckon.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    so don't suggest a slow pootle followed by a smear with a baby wipe, it ain't gonna work for me.

Why? Nothing is better than a hot sweaty man after he has exerted himself... run your nose through the armpit hair and its on like donkey kong.

Where you riding to? There may be other alternatives to a gym. Also, if a shower is this important then maybe the other jobs that provided a shower may be better options...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    so don't suggest a slow pootle followed by a smear with a baby wipe, it ain't gonna work for me.

Why? Nothing is better than a hot sweaty man after he has exerted himself... run your nose through the armpit hair and its on like donkey kong.

Where you riding to? There may be other alternatives to a gym. Also, if a shower is this important then maybe the other jobs that provided a shower may be better options...

I'm not sure the partners of the firm would be keen to run their noses through my armpit hair!

I'd be riding to Bank area... I haven't actually got a job offer yet but it's looking good. There's 1 other firm which has shown interest and they do have showers however I'm less convinced about the company and the job...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,365
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm not sure the partners of the firm would be keen to run their noses through my armpit hair!

I'd be riding to Bank area... I haven't actually got a job offer yet but it's looking good. There's 1 other firm which has shown interest and they do have showers however I'm less convinced about the company and the job...

The company may have a deal with a particular gym nearby - worth asking maybe.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Canny Jock wrote:

Thanks, that's interesting. Which chain was that? I need a gym in the City

Think it was Fitness First - the one literally under the north side of London Bridge. Start off by saying shower only, beforebefore 11 am, them say you have to think about it, see what they say and finally ask if they can give you an additional discount if you pay for 6 months up front.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mate, around bank? Result.
  • Headhuunter

Yep, so a bit further east than before... Fingers crossed, no offers yet but it's heading in that direction I hope!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Yep, so a bit further east than before... Fingers crossed, no offers yet but it's heading in that direction I hope!

Well good luck.

Let me know if you do get it. Can always go for a drink after work if you're nearby :)
  • Headhuunter

Well good luck.

Let me know if you do get it. Can always go for a drink after work if you're nearby :)

Yup, definitely... Will let you know...
  • Sadly I looked into the 'shower only' membership and came up blank. Where is your preferred option based? There is a place H2 in Soho, with another in London Wall opening this year, but its not cheap.

I pay £40 a month at H2 in Soho and get a shower, a permanent locker and towels. Not to mention somewhere safe to stash the steed.

Totally worth it I reckon, especially given that a zone 1-2 travel card is north of £100 a month these days.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.