XTR SPDs - M980 or M985?

ryan_w-2
ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all,

REALLY not getting on with my Crank Bros Candy 2s so looking to swap over to some Shimano SPDs.

Just wondering what you guys are using out of the XTR PD-M980 and M985s (with the bigger sole plate)?...

I ride a lot of XC with some AM stuff, so just wondering if the slighty bigger and heavier M985s are really worth it?

Cheers
Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop

Comments

• im not using XTR but iv got the M530's and they are pretty good. The cage around the pedal only comes into contact with your feet if you wear really flexible soled shoes though. which most SPD shoes arent.

I think the main reason its there is to help with clipping in, give something to put your foot on if you cant find the clip and to give the mechanism some protection from impact.

if your happy with the smaller size of normal spd's then stick with them.

also why arent you warming to the Candys??
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • ryan_w-2
    I bought a set of M985s last night, thought the larger pedal would help with clipping in and protecting the mech.

If I don't get on with them, I'll sell them and opt for the M908s.

As for the Candys, I just don't like their feel, far to vague on the clip-in and just find them a lot harder to seat than the SPDs.

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Ryan_W wrote:
    As for the Candys, I just don't like their feel, far to vague on the clip-in and just find them a lot harder to seat than the SPDs.
    Exactly why i didn't get on with them, a week later one unthreaded itself and broke the crank arm and nearly my leg..

Now i have shimano and i would never trade them in for cb
  • Dave SS
    Dave SS Posts: 15
    I've just returned a pair of m980's under warranty, the bearings have leaked grease continuously and in under a year they're both shot. One side is loose and sloppy, the other side is worryingly tight and rough.

Just thought you should know, I've read similar issues of bearing problems online as well.

My old 747 XT's are about 5 years old now and they still run perfectly with zero maintenance and more than 10,000 miles of use
  • ryan_w-2
    Oh dear, doesn't sound like you had a good time with your M980s?!

I went for the M985s and they've been great! They don't clog up at all (one doubt I had before buying)...

• Dave SS
    Dave SS Posts: 15
    I'm gutted to be honest, £90's worth of kit and in poor shape after a relatively short period of time.

CRC just set them back to shimano, I'm just waiting for the decision.