Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon Vs. Ibis Ripley 29er

BikeSwan
BikeSwan Posts: 260
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying into the 29er market, and have narrowed my choices down to 2. The Santa Cruz Tallboy, or the Ibis Ripley 29er. I am aware that the Ibis isn't actually available yet, but i'm assuming that will change come spring, and i'm also assuming it will cost around the same, and only weigh slightly more than the Tallboy. I'm in a dilemma as to which one I should go for. I've ridden a friends Tallboy, and it felt amazing (even though his suspension was set up for himself, who weighs 40 lbs more than myself). The main reason i'm in this problem is that I currently live in Toronto (Ontario, Canada), where it's basically rolling hills singletrack (once you get to the trail centers). But i'm moving to BC in a year, and I want a bike with a bit more "big hit" ability. The Tallboy has 100mm of travel while the Ripley has 120mm, and if I got the Tallboy it would have a 120mm fork, as opposed to 140mm for the Ripley. I'm buying the bike as an overall trail bike, so do you think the extra travel of the Ripley will come in handy or should I go for the Tallboy? I'm envisioning getting the Ripley, being a bit unhappy with it for the tight singletrack, and then loving it when I get out to BC, and get to Whistler, etc.

So what do you guys think?

Regards,

Ed

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    personally the 29er thing aint my bag..

but i do have a mate who used to be dead set against them untill he rode one.. and ended up with a loan bike off of santacruz them selves my mate writes for several mags and does alot of stuf for nsmb.. he lives in bc most of the time (when he's not traveling the world with his job and his bike)
    i seen a few video of seb riding gnarly stuff on his tallboy.. he rates the bike very highly to..
    here's a few vids of seb on his tall boy.

tallboy

chilcotins
  • I have been riding the Tallboy with 120mm fork briefly, and loved it. Felt right, snappy, comfortable and light. Also Turner Sultan with DW Link for a few longer rides. Loved how that handled, the ability to let it rip and the snappy suspension. However, I've ordered a Ripley. The reason is that I would also like a do-it-all trail bike (with race potential for a few techy marathons), and I see the Ripley as the next step in 29er evolution compared to the Tallboy and the burlier Sultan. It is essentially more of the same as the Tallboy, hopefully without any drawbacks. Things have been moving really quikly in the carbon big wheel world last 18 months.

I ride a Gary Fisher/Trek HiFi Pro 29er and been on big wheels since 2008.
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    Thanks for the posts guys. I think I've decided to go for the Tallboy. The Ibis isn't out yet, so i'd have to wait ages to get one, and the Tallboy comes in an XXL which means I could run a really short (50mm, or 70mm) stem. I'm buying this bike because my XL Blur TRc is too small for me (which is really annoying). I was originally thinking of the XL Tallboy, but after looking at the geometry for both bikes, the XXL seems to be the right one.

I'm taking all the components from my TRc (XT/XTR mix, Race Face / Thomson finishing kit, etc), and pairing them with a DT Swiss XMM 29 (120mm) fork, Easton EA90 XC (QR15) wheels, and Bontrager 29-0 Team Issue Tires. With the Black/Red frame, it should look great!

Before I officially close this subject, does anyone have any tips about 29er's, riding style, maintenance, etc?
  • Clink
    Clink Posts: 52
    simenf wrote:
    I have been riding the Tallboy with 120mm fork briefly, and loved it. Felt right, snappy, comfortable and light. Also Turner Sultan with DW Link for a few longer rides. Loved how that handled, the ability to let it rip and the snappy suspension. However, I've ordered a Ripley. The reason is that I would also like a do-it-all trail bike (with race potential for a few techy marathons), and I see the Ripley as the next step in 29er evolution compared to the Tallboy and the burlier Sultan. It is essentially more of the same as the Tallboy, hopefully without any drawbacks. Things have been moving really quikly in the carbon big wheel world last 18 months.

I ride a Gary Fisher/Trek HiFi Pro 29er and been on big wheels since 2008.

I've just built up a 2011 HiFi Pro frame. How did you find yours compared to the Tallboy?
  • I haven't got enough time on the TB to make a qualified comparison, but the inital impression was that TB was more of a trail-oriented bike from the geometry and riding position. It felt more upright. The HiFi is a race bike for marathons and long distance, but I would imagine that the TB would be more of an all-day trail bike than a race bike.
    The HiFi is compatible with a 120 fork as well, but I find the Tallboy to climb better with a 120 due to more rearward weight shift on the HiFi. However, both of them are really versatile bikes so you cannot go wrong.

But as the marked is teeming with new 120s these days, I feel that the 100mm class is now more for the allround riders and racers than the trail bikers.