Mech disc brake improvements

gallowayphantom
gallowayphantom Posts: 36
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
I'm new to this forum and relatively new to mtb. I have an old trek mtb about 6 years old, basic rockshox dart 2 fork and generally ride the 7stanes badly. I have a basic mechanical disc brakes. Reading other post I see everyone always recommends hydraulic brakes but can't afford them just yet. Mine has 160 rotors and are tektro IO, reading another post of a rider with tektro brakes someone recommended putting a 180 rotor on the front to aid better braking??? which I need. any thoughts on this

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You've not said if you are actually having problems? Do you want/need more power?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    180 rotor shound increase power by 10%-15%, you will need a brake caliper adaptor to fit the new rotor, also increase in power is only one aspect of braking, new cables (if needed), new pads (if needed) proper setup (if needed) could yeild the same results.

Are you having problems or just looking for increased power?

Edit: as SS says!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Sorry guys, meant to say I need more braking power. Had new pads fitted and had them set up but still had brown short moments, brake have never felt great though I've heard if the IO's are set upright they're generally ok for mech brakes. Been thinking of new cables. Would 180 rotor be sufficient for the time being and some of these sealed brake cables http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... 22237?What else would I need? or recommend other good mech brakes?? on a budget.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go for new cables, a 180mm rotor and precise set up. Let the new rotor bed in.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have to say that the 3 bikes I've ridden on IO's have all bad poo brakes, whereas the one bike I've ridden on BB5's has brakes on a par with lower end Hydro's.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.