Gordano roundabout, Somerset

brooksby
brooksby Posts: 34
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Is the roundabout above the M5 motorway at Gordano services "motorway" or not? I mean to say, can I ride by bike across it or do I have to use the off-road cycle path which goes under the motorway? :?:

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Judging from Google Maps it's not 'Motorway', possibly classed as 'B' road? Either way, depending on the time of day you're thinking about using it it looks like it'd be an absolute nightmare for a cyclist - i.e. if you're going straight over from Martcombe Road I'd be worried about lane positioning and being taken out by a vehicle taking the first exit onto the M5 South - there'll be a lot of fast moving/fast accelerating vehicles going around there and taking a primary position and getting into the right lane could almost be an impossibility at the wrong time of day. Possibly more of a lane-positioning nightmare coming from the other way. You're slightly helped with the exit of the roundabout with the traffic lights but it looks like there's loads of HGVs and commercial type large goods vehicles around there because of the docks/industrial sites. I'd probably avoid and take the off-road route...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    I'd probably avoid and take the off-road route...

Fair enough :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Avoid the roundabout like the plague, it will be a nightmare. Traffic queuing to get on the roundabout coming out of Portishead and HGVs etc heading to the docks and businesses between. Depending on where you're heading you have two choices. Coming out of Portishead at rushhour on the roads will be a nightmare whatever route you choose but there is a cycle route off Phoenix Way that uses Sheepway for 1/2 mile or so. You can then follow the Wildlife Corridor to the M5 bridge and Pill or Avonmouth or instead of using the Wildlife Corridor carry on but use the ped bridge over the M5 and into Portbury village and onto Pill village again. Look for NCN 26.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    You don't say where you're travelling between but you have choices to both North and South to avoid the motorway junction.

It's not motorway by the way but I don't think I'd like to cycle across it.

Bob
  • My commute used to be from Stoke Gifford to Kenn (Clevedon). I consciously avoided this particular roundabout as its not fun, I used it once and that was enough. Im a fairly confident rider, maintain prime position etc but it is just too busy. Theres a services, lots of traffic coming from all directions; Portishead to Bristol, M5 to Bristol etc.

Depending on where you're going and coming from there are various routes to avoid the roundabout.

Ive since moved to Portishead, reducing my 22 mile commute down to an easy 8.5 miles.