Glasgow Rangers

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Glasgow Rangers have filed for administration.
Scottish football becomes a one horse race.
Even Mickey Mouse doesn't want to be associated with the league.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I doubt they will dissappear. Is it not because the HMRC ruling was due, and it wsas going to go against them, so going into Admin could be a way of avoiding the debt? Not sure how it works.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Going into administration means nothing football-wise. Just like any number of clubs - Leicester, Palace to name but two, they'll carry on. Palace are officially Crystal Palace 1982 or some such. Whatever happens Rangers will see out this season, prob with a points deduction, and still be around to fulfill next season's commitments.
  • Can Scottish football survive without them? The only Cally games up here that seem to be anything like busy are those with the Glasgow sides.

I agree though. Going bust and disappearing are two different things.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I was about to post this. Looking at the SPL table, they can afford to lose their ten points and still cruise to second. Ho hum.

I have two questions:

1. In the SPL there are 12 teams, so if each side plays every other side at home and away, that's 22 games. Except they've already played 26. How does that work?

2. How many football clubs are run as a viable business these days, and what is the most common cause of them getting into trouble (the answer I'm looking for is not "they don't pay their tax"; how is it they don't have enough money to pay their tax?)?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Know what the lead story on the Scottish news will be then.

Agree is pretty much means nothing except Celtic will be handed the title. Even if they get deducted 10 points they'll still be in second place.

No wonder Mickey isn't interested.
  • suzyb
    Greg66 wrote:
    1. In the SPL there are 12 teams, so if each side plays every other side at home and away, that's 22 games. Except they've already played 26. How does that work?
    They play each other more than twice :wink:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Greg66 wrote:
    I was about to post this. Looking at the SPL table, they can afford to lose their ten points and still cruise to second. Ho hum.

I have two questions:

2. How many football clubs are run as a viable business these days, and what is the most common cause of them getting into trouble (the answer I'm looking for is not "they don't pay their tax"; how is it they don't have enough money to pay their tax?)?

1. They play each other 3 times, then split into top 6/bottom 6 and play 5 more games, so 38 games in total. It is weighted for the "third" game to be either home or away so that you play even number of home and away, but does not always work. Wheew. think there is an easier explantion somewhere!

2. Not many, they pay high wages, spend lods on players etc. Most are not viable businesses.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited February 2012
    Greg - It is a stupid league anyway, just about to get worse.
    Each team plays 3 matches against the other teams. At the end of this they split into 2 mini-leagues, one playing for Title/Europe and relegation in the other.
    This means some teams get a harder draw than others (home/away ratio) in the first 3/4 season and the 7th team can (has) finish(ed) with more points than 6th. Madness.

How it works.
    Rangers have 5 days to confirm.
    That done they immediately lose 10 points.
    Effectively guaranteeing 2nd spot this season.
    The HMRC case will fold saving the club up to 50 million.

Now the downfall.

They will not be able to buy any new players.
    They will have to sell off any assets (decent players).
    They start next season with dross and boys.
    Forgone conclusion that Celtic win the league.
    No interest in the league = no money.
    Other clubs go to the wall.

and the rise.

Scottish clubs are forced to play youth coming through the ranks instead of buying dross based on Youtube videos.
    Any decent players move to better leagues.
    The Scottish National squad improves. Eh, hopefully.

Edit:- Wallace beat me to it. Re taxes - In Rangers case it is because they tried to use tax avoidance measures to entice players with more cash in hand. Going into administration hints at them about to be caught with tax evasion.

PS:- I doubt they are the only club to try these measures. There will be other teams looking over their shoulders.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • suzyb
    You know I had no idea how the scottish league works so little interest I have in it now. All I'm really bothered about is how Motherwell do (soft spot for the local team).
  • Looks like Pompey are going back into administration too http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16943651
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'