Shimano XT M785 with Ice Tech Rotors or Formula RX's

simonekarl
simonekarl Posts: 48
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking to replace my Avid Exilir 5 on my Fuel EX8 as they are just awful, I have put up with them foe long enough!

I only rude trails, mainly red or black, northdowns, Afan, cwmcarn

The XT's are about £100 more expensive, but are they worth the extra coin? The main things I'm looking for are reliability, hassle free, performance.

Help greatly appreciated.
2022 Specialized Crux Comp Gravel destroyer
Single speed 46x16 Traffic eliminator

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If your cost sensitive, then the SLXs are cheaper and very similar to the XTs. Also, where are you getting them from? XTs are only £66 without rotors, which can be had for a tenner (not Ice Tech, but you probably dont need those).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Yep. Rose Bikes £135 for front and rear. Mine arrived last week. Did 35 miles on the weekend and the brakes are fantastic, so much better than the Oros I had before and I thought they were good.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Widge34
    Which brakes are refering to?

Benpinnick
    Are you recommending the SLX over the RX? Why do you think the Ice Tech rotors are not needed? Do you think the cooling fins are enough for AM riding? Certainly would save a few quid.
    2022 Specialized Crux Comp Gravel destroyer
    Single speed 46x16 Traffic eliminator
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    He's reffering to the XT's just bought two sets myself to replace the hopes on both my bikes and the difference, even without icetech rotors is night and day, although I haven't tested the set with Icetech's just yet, I have a pair with the Icetech and a pair without, should fine for am with out the rotor or the fins, as neither of my sets have the fins
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    simonekarl wrote:
    Widge34
    Which brakes are refering to?

Benpinnick
    Are you recommending the SLX over the RX? Why do you think the Ice Tech rotors are not needed? Do you think the cooling fins are enough for AM riding? Certainly would save a few quid.

Sorry. Yes I was talking about the XT Brakes. There is a article in this months Dirt Mag about the new XTR brakes, and after extensive testing Dirt say that the ice tec rotors make a big difference, but not so much for the finned pads.

They rode a trail with normal rotors and then ice tec rotors. The normal rotors were red hot at the end of the trail where as the ice tec were cold. I have purchased the ice tec rotors which arrived from Rose today, but my old rotors were coming towards the end of their lives anyway.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not that impressed with XT Ice rotors, seem to bend very easily!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Tbh I've not tried the ice tech ones, but I'm happy enough with the steel ones. The brakes seem to do a good job of heat dissipation, and the fact that they are mineral not dot 5.1 doesn't seem to have them boiling up either. If I was going to race DH alot, I might consider the extra for ice rotors, but as is I'm happy with my 203 rt76s
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.