Fox Forks

Ben2012
Ben2012 Posts: 24
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have a set of Fox 120 RL forks, bought them second hand and they were fine for a few months then they started leaking oil. It was my fault, they got a few stone chips on the stancions and to replace the CSU will cost me around £140
Im not prepared to fork out this much every year!
Anyone got any suggestions for protecting the forks?
I only do night riding off road, theres a few of us so its not uncommon to get the bike in front flick a couple of stones in your face.
Guards or anything? Ive searched all over the web and i cant find anything
:(

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Fork socks? or old inner tubes?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • pseymour
    pseymour Posts: 194
    Stone chips can be sanded back with wet and dry paper if not too bad. Then just replace the seals which are probably damaged as a result. Worth a try.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fox seem to have really poor quality anodising on the Stanchions. My Fox F120 was showing early signs of this after a years use. Rockshox are much better, my Lyriks have had twice as much & harder use and still look like new.
    A regular lower lube is a good idea. Enclosing the stanchion is not a great idea as you cant see if the seals are leaking and any dirt which gets in will be stuck in there.
  • Thankyou for the replies.
    Ive tried wet and dry, but i was worried about going too far. Ill go a bit further with them and see what happens.
    Its such a shame because i love the ride! They just feel so smooth and perfect!
    Saying that, the shocks i was replacing were SR Suntour and they were seriously rubbish.