MTB helmets vs Road Helmets.

SimonPieman
SimonPieman Posts: 206
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
Why do MTB helmets have the peek and road helmets do not, I use my MTB helmet (Giro E2) for both (cannot afford one for each!!), I have not come across any circumstances where I can see why one would have one and the other would not?? :?
1990 - Trek 950
1991 - Orbit America Multiflo
1992 - Orbit STOLEN!
1992 - Roberts DOGS BOLX
1994 - Roberts STOLEN!
2003 - Specialized Epic
2006 - Specialized Allez Elite

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You sit more upright on an MTB. If you are on the drops on a road bike, the visor would get in the way of your forward vision. I use a Giro Havoc which has a visor - generally, mostly, I have the visor off but it is useful at certain times in the winter when I cycle around sunrise or sunset and potentially end up looking straight into the sun I tend to put the visor back on and find it useful. At any other time, it isn't!

Off road, you can use the visor to fend off bits of overhanging foliage!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    If riding in the drops then the peak can obscure the top part of sight meaning you would need to move your head to look rather than just move your eyes. This will lead to a stiff neck pretty quickly. This isn't a problem on the mtb because of the more upright position and the peak is quite handy.

This is going to be dependent on your position on the road bike, if you have an upright position then it probably wont make much difference.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I thought it was so that you could tell the difference between cyclists at a cafe stop (and obviously treat with utter disdain those ones with a peak :) ).
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    In most of cases road helmets are more about fashion than function. Baa, baa..!
    Many people don't feel comfortable wearing "inappropriate" gear :wink:

MTB helmets with adjustable peaks don't obstruct the view at all and are simply a more sensible / safer option, especially on the road (low sun, rain, full beam car lights etc...)
    XC models are very light and have excellent ventilation, too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I wore my MTB helmet for years after getting a road bike. Fashion gaffe I know, but the peak was useful to hide behind when oncoming headlights were blinding me, and it would also keep heavy rain off my specs. When the pads and retention mechanism eventually disintegrated I replaced it with a modern road helmet (Planet X sale!) So much lighter, better ventilated, and I haven't actually missed the peak yet. In fact I find that my neck is less likely to ache after a long ride now, which could be the lower weight or lack of a peak.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    a peak is completely unnecessary on a cycle helmet anyway...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ^ Pray Tell why (it would be much easier if I did nt have to ask you to do this every time would nt it?)

I use and MTB helmet on the MTB, then take the peak off and call it a road helmet on a road bike....It is not completely unnecessary, it is quite useful on the MTB (not worth the neck ache on the roadie though)

Some MTB helmets (Giro Xen being the first example), now offer more coverage of the back of the head and a bit more impact protection at the expense of lightness and ventilation so the distinction is becoming less blurred bow
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Roadies don't need peaks because we have these:

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/Product/211 ... leShopping
    :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    my hat has a peak. VERY useful for 2 reasons

1) Dazzling headlights on unlit roads - save some nightvision

2) precipitation - keeps it out your eyes so you can focus on the road. OK, if its raining buckets it comes down your forehead, but a bit of drizzle would otherwise be in your eyes. Same for snow.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Why? BECAUSE IT'S THE RULE (no. 35 to be exact) :)

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#35
  • I probably don't spend enough time on the drops to get a stiff neck. I have sunglasses if I'm lucky enough to be out in the sun, but I rely on a helmet peak to keep some rain out of my eyes...
  • ma5on
    ma5on Posts: 3
    99% fashion.
    1% practicality in some situations.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ma5on wrote:
    99% fashion.
    1% practicality in some situations.

Why in God's name have you just resurrected a thread that's nearly 2 years old??
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I nearly replied lol...

... owwwwww :x
  • ma5on
    ma5on Posts: 3
    Don't have a little cyber paddy keef - it's as valid now as it was then.
    Just to add for the hundreds of riders that probably will still visit this thread, an infinitely more important difference is that a good MTB helmet will cover more of the rear of your head. You will hear plenty of anecdotes where people have struck a part of their helmet that just isn't there on a road lid.
    Stay safe kids!!!