White Grease

Mojo_666
Mojo_666 Posts: 860
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
OK Dumb question maybe, what is the white grease/lube I found on my my 15mm through axle? it's tackier than normal grease (please no jokes, I ran them all through my head already)

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    grease that is white in colour.

there are lots of greases that are white. they do the same job as the greases that are cream or red or green or blue or even turquoise.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mojo_666
    nicklouse wrote:

there are lots of greases that are white. they do the same job as the greases that are cream or red or green or blue or even turquoise.

While looking it up myslef I was overwhelmed by the different types and purposes for greases, so they are not all they same and they do not all have the same intended application which is why I asked.

I think that there is more to this than colour.
  • different greases have different properties, that much is certain, however the requirements (temperature/pressure) - for bikes - are so low, and so easily satisfied, for all external applications in a bike, almost any grease will do

any grease police out there, please notice the word "almost", ie funny greases don't count
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

While looking it up myslef I was overwhelmed by the different types and purposes for greases, so they are not all they same and they do not all have the same intended application which is why I asked.

I think that there is more to this than colour.
    but on a bike they are all the same.

you only need one grease and some thread lock and some anti size. all done.

different parts providers will use different types but that will all be basically the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mojo_666
    edited February 2012
    OK So after some more research I think I have it figured out (although I won't be betting money on this)

and just to clarify my question was simply "what is the white grease/lube I found on my my 15mm through axle"

The white grease I think is a "white lithium grease" of the "spray on" persuasion.

This grease is very thin (in it's spray form) and can be applied evenly and thinly, unlike none spray grease (white lithium or otherwise) which are thick and more commonly used to pack bearings etc, my experience using a thick grease on the bolt through was that unless I rubbed it all over very thinly most of the grease would peel right off again when the bolt was inserted into the hub.

I suspect that the white lithium spray on grease is used on the "bolts" to benefit the production process by being easier to apply and reducing wastage.
  • Mojo_666
    or to help hold off corrosion

Good shout.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wouldn't put lithium grease anywhere near a bike - dries out, rots seals, and bonds metals together.
  • I use marine grease on my bikes.... works well and helps keep the water out of places I don't want water.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just because it's white doesn't mean it's lithium grease.

I use Finish Line Teflon grease. It's white.

As said, bikes just need grease. Some exceptions like lithium which are not advised, but regular general grease. The more the better often. If it should move, grease it.

Things that shouldn't move are another matter. Locktite for small bolts that need it, and anti-seize for large threaded stuff that might get seized up.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Could be something like Rock and Roll Superweb grease. Its white and is stickier than a stick insect covered in super glue and makes strings like melted cheese.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    'marine' or 'red rubber' grease is the best, it's tacky, sticky, good lube and most importantly is very resistant to being removed by water, it's often used for wheel bearings on boat trailers for example.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have a tub of bike specific bearing grease from a company called Galli

Seems good so far!

Oh, Its white.