SRAM X9 rear derailleur – Lost tension

leejdavies
leejdavies Posts: 217
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all,

It seems as though upon the first proper off road ride of my new(ish) X9 derailleur it lost all chain tension. Anybody else had this problem? It's only a few months old and it has been used twice. I've not taken derailleur's apart but it would seem that a spring that causes the jockey wheel cage to be pulled back has snapped / become dislodged.

Should I just call up CRC and get it replaced (surely it should have a warranty) or is there something I can do to make it work?

Any help appreciated.
Up: Wilier Mortirolo
Down: Orange Patriot

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IF it has failed then yes it sould be replaced but Pics of it msy help diagnose if it has failed or .....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I can diagnose it as a Fail. The cage has no spring in it whatsoever just flaps around leaving the chain to loop down rattle around, it's not so bad in the lower gears 1-4 because the chain is naturally tighter but it gets a little messy higher than that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just download CRC returns form and send it back. They are excellent with returns.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    cooldad wrote:
    Just download CRC returns form and send it back. They are excellent with returns.

+1

CRC offer the best returns/refunds I have ever.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i had this on a sram derailleur.. has the meche been knocked if you look at the mech you will see 2 plastic steps (plastic stop) that should touch this keeps the spring tensioned. when mine failed (thanks to the airport baggage handlers) the 2 plastic bits that should stop and keep the spring tensioned had been damaged and pushed past each other so there was no tension in the spring leaving the chain dangling..

if it is this you may be lucky and beable to pop the mech back round so the stops meet.. if it's like my mech was then the stops will be fubar and mech will have to be replaced..
  • thanks for the help guys.

Delcol,

I'll have a look at the plastic stops. Shouldn't of been knocked I was riding on the new verderer's trail in the forest. Pretty tame and smooth.
  • Some piccies of the problem.

This is the 'default' position. I.e. I've moved the derailleur backward and this is the position it springs to.
    IMG_1812.jpg

But it can be easily moved without any opposition tension to these positions (where it stays most of the time).
    IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg

It's been used twice :shock: . Once was barely off road nor was it technical in anyway for under 2 hours. The second was a rather timid ride around the forest of dean which was just over 40 mins. It broke 30 mins or so into this. An absolute shocker really on SRAMs behalf.