Redesigned sausage factory

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
LCC are upping their game and I quite like the look of this. Wide on road cycle lanes etc. a proper continuations of CS8 as it should have been.

Also heard rumours of another blackfriars flashride to coincide with the mayoral elections, should be huge.

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/safe-bike-la ... an-be-done

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Sausage factory?

Great article.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    edited February 2012
    Looks good - nice and straight forward and no need to change across 4-5 lanes. Might make it a bit 'too' easy for the protest camps to establish themselves in a pedestrianised square, though :twisted:.

Loving the 'sun always shines in London' CAD models.

Oh, yeah, where does the sausage factory reference come from?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iPete
    ooops I thought it was a common nickname for the place, its where everything; bikes, cars, cyclists etc. gets mixed up together after CS8 and spat out the other side.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    edited February 2012
    iPete wrote:
    ooops I thought it was a common nickname for the place, its where everything; bikes, cars, cyclists etc. gets mixed up together after CS8 and spat out the other side.

On account of all the mamils passing through?

What's happened to Great George Street?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    iPete wrote:
    Ah, parliament square? Yeah, that place is a nightmare for slow cyclists. The plans look great.
  • iPete
    Yup, its a bit of a mess and a decent looking solution. Would also allow CS8 to run much further perhaps even into the black friars tunnel and beyond.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    iPete wrote:
    Yup, its a bit of a mess and a decent looking solution. Would also allow CS8 to run much further perhaps even into the black friars tunnel and beyond.

Extending it from CB to Lots Road would be good......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Also not sure about turning right on to Westminster Bridge from Parliament square would that not be awkward pinch point getting over from the left cycle lane to turn right... I would like see a green lane running down the middle and no right turn from the left lane....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • notsoblue
    Sketchley wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Extending it from CB to Lots Road would be good......

Its silly that it wasn't. The road on that stretch is pretty wide and could easily fit a CS.
  • the LCC does look very nice!

this said they have missed things out.

for example Blackfriars, going to the north side, a lorry going to the embankment (ie left turning) and a cyclist going straight, are going to be trying to occupy the same bit of road.

with Parliment square as others have said what about Great George street?

i'm fairly sure that right turns would end up as royal pain, and for the less confient rather offputting.

less road more pavement would probably be a good idea having the square as a traffic island seems a waste of land. so making it more ped centric would be good.

big wide roads there they could run CS8 up with out that much bother, mainly paint!

i've never been or likely to go to Olympic Park so can't comment.
  • still think the title is a nasty euphemism
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • notsoblue
    still think the title is a nasty euphemism

Kinda makes sense though. Road bikes being the meat, and MTB/Hybrids being the rusk.