What is it with Cars and junction approach speed ?

Ezy Rider
Ezy Rider Posts: 415
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I see what Im about to describe every single day whether i am on my bike or not. Im often riding past a road which feeds onto the road on which I am riding on , and this requires a driver to stop at give way lines. If I had a pound for every time ive watched a car approaching the give way lines and thought that car is going too fast and isnt going to stop :roll: I then watch the bonnet of the car nose dive towards the ground as the driver has to brake heavily. Im often not at all sure of driver intentions and am watching closely and prepping myself for a quick swerve out of the way .........just in case.

Anybody else observe what im describing on our roads ? It didnt used to be like this and am i just observing even less driver patience on our roads ?

Comments

• m00nd0g
    m00nd0g Posts: 176
    The state of driving is just getting worse I guess.
    When I learnt to drive most people indicated.
  • I just think that driving reflects the aggressive side of society we live in. Sunday morning a quiet road no traffic good visibility three of us out for a ride I was in front.All of a sudden a car horn full blast from behind from a distance,held on till past us then a violent swerve in front of me. A woman with kids in going who knows where with such urgency on a Sunday morning.
    i just assume that pretty well all car drivers drive with the intention of murdering someone if the are held up for just a nanosecond.
  • Yeah, know what you mean, if i see a car approaching too fast as i,m on a roundabout or a junction i try and make eye contact and stare at them as if to say , are you gonna stop or what,it usually works but i,m always ready to slam the brakes on after previous experience of nearly being mown down on roundabouts where some drivers just seem to ignore cyclists.
  • yep happens all the time, everyones in such a rush, i usually back of a bit and try to make eye contact, had a women do it on a roundabout once she decided to stop last minute and ended up halfway onto the roundabout good job i had slowed.
  • It seems to be slightly better at weekends and on the way home :?:

Quite why people are in such a rush to get to jobs they say they hate i have no idea.

Eye contact ususally, but not always, works so it pays to be a bit careful.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I see this very often. Took a while for me to settle down after a motorist did the same approaching a roundabout, but didn't stop and scooped me up, hitting me at 30 mph. Still get twitchy now, 3 years later.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    Roundabouts are worst, especially when the approaching lane has a lot of visibility. They don't see a bike in the cursory glance to the right and if there's insufficient deflection they'll enter way too quickly - if they do see you last minute they can't stop. I've got one roundabout on my commute where this is a big concern (although it was another roundabout that almost had me last week when an artic tractor unit pulled out without looking - luckily I knew he was going to do it and backed off, the look of shcok on his face when he saw me hopefully means he'll look properly next time!). The other favourite is when a 'kind' motorist in stationary traffic lets someone into or out of a side road when you are filtering or using the bus / cycle lane!
  • It seems to me that an awful lot of motorists are not only going too fast, but are often looking left instead of right when they come up to junctions. Impossible to make eye contact with these muppets..... :shock:
  • how about the one where you are on a road with 2 lanes on each side and you want to turn right ?

some kind soul in the opposite facing inner lane slows to a stop and waves you across................whilst an imbecile puts the boot down in the inner lane and races up the inside.

the driving these days just makes me stare in disbelief.
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Its not just because you are on your bike, these idiots would be annoyed with you if you were an extra car on the road instead of out on the bike. Its the selfish soceity we live in me me me self self self. Just let it flow over you and count to 3, THEN GIVE THE IDIOT THE BIRD and hope they have piles or a equally painfull condition of your choice.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    :roll: Do everything above except give them the bird. They're in a ton and a half of metal, they might be stupid but you don't want a stupid, angry person in charge of a ton and a half of metal chasing you down.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    mostly vans seem to fein pulling out on me as im going past, i think they try to subtley unerve me. sometimes a slight revving of their engine, or letting the brake off just before stopping fully as if theyre pulling out. went for a ride saturday and the hedges are littered with cars, seemingly because the driver doesnt know abs cant stop you if there's no grip.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I make no secret of the fact that I drive a bus for a living (*sorry*) and believe me the view is even worse from up there than it is on a bike.In the 7 or so hours of driving ie being behind the wheel not necessarily in motion each day I reckon I witness at least 3 or 4 very near misses. The biggest problem is the standard of driving instructors IMO. You see these adverts now where you can be your own boss and earn 20k a year and it's this brilliant thing. It's not. It's crap.#My favourite canteen story when on my break goes something like this:

"I was approaching the roundabout in the right turn only lane and there was a learner car directly opposite in the lane from the other (my 2nd exit) direction and I entered the roundabout in my 40ftx13ftx10ft bright red bus only to spot the learner car had decided to pull out in front of me anyway. A decent stamp on the brakes (no old ladies rolling down the aisles but a gasp or two) and I brought the bus to a halt with the learner car about 8 inches from my front bumper. He made a hell of a nosedive. Looked down with a view to making some sarcastic applause and realised that there was indeed only one person on the car, who was wearing the driving school in question's uniform. I'm not one to point fingers but I'm sure it was the instructor"

When I regaled this tale to one of our driving instructors (we have an in-house bus driving school - 7 instructors, delegated examiner, 5 NVQ assessors. Quite a big part of the business by all accounts) his comment was something along the line of "should have ploughed the c....."

We get assessed very regularly ie every couple of weeks both planned and at random as well as for different stuff such as customer service or driving standard. the other week I had an NVQ assessment, a planned assessment AND a random assessment from the delegated examiner all within two days of each other and always by different people as well as mystery passengers. It's even been known for the relevant people to follow a bus in service in a car behind to see things from that angle too. Our accident rate is something like one insurance claim is 50,000 miles of driving. A bus of at least 32ft and up to 56ft (mixed fleet) and a lot of city centre driving in that too means we're doing something right I think.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    yes. given that the bus is sometimes wider than the lanes and can overhang the path is enough to watch out for never mind the computer game drivers.
  • Manchester is horrendous for this. I see cars creeping forward all the time and they mustn't acknowledge that you're actually going faster than 6 mph? I find that some drivers seem to see me but think "it's just a cyclist, I'll make my turn before he ever reaches me". Drivers see a car and automatically tune in that they are travelling at speed and should be respected. It takes time for a driver to perceive someone's speed by the distance they've covered and when they've simply taken a tiny glimpse of the road and made their judgement, it's often the wrong perception of speed they've given to the cyclist. I've had a few drivers signal their errors though so I signal back. It's fair, everyone makes mistakes on the road and I feel it's lifted my road awareness but recently I've had a few interesting occurrences which are just plain irresponsible and now make me want to record my trips.

I've been toe-to-toe with a van driver after he passed me leaving only inches between his van and me doing 25mph. He was eager to pass me even though there was plenty of room to overtake safely like the other motorists had on the same stretch of road. I eventually ended up overtaking him after he was caught in traffic at a roundabout and he actually tried to knock me off my bike as he passed swerving at me. I couldn't believe it and I completely lost my rag with him. I shouted and signalled him to pull over for the next few hundred metres and he began to rev up and brake hard and then rev up again etc. I locked up at this point to avoid going into the back of him. He eventually pulled over and I'm sorry to say I'd completely lost it by now. I just wanted to put him in hospital.

Here's the punch-line - He got out and was around 60 years old, running at me raging that my rear light shouldn't be flashing!? I couldn't believe he tried to knock me off my bike because I had a rear flashing light on in broad daylight when there were no street lamps on (it was merely an additional lamp to keep me visible and safe - not a target for him to aim at!) We then aggressively discussed the laws and highway code and basically had it out on the road side as the female driver of a Fiesta who had witnessed the whole thing looked on shocked.

I took his numberplate, told him he was the sh*test driver I had ever seen and that I was going to report him to the police. He then got back into his van, pulled out onto the road forcing a car to swerve around his van into on-coming traffic!? I shouted out to him again that he was the sh*test driver I had ever seen and that was that.

I simply couldn't believe the whole thing - It was like a set-up or something equally strange and it left me a little shocked for a few days. I talked to some friends about the incident and never bothered reporting him to the police in the end as there is nothing they'd do about it without me having any evidence.

I find it's easier to just take a deep breath now and continue on my way.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    lastwords wrote:
    yep happens all the time, everyones in such a rush, i usually back of a bit and try to make eye contact, had a women do it on a roundabout once she decided to stop last minute and ended up halfway onto the roundabout good job i had slowed.

+1 Eye contact and a smile (can only help).

My Wife and I always have a chuckle when we go on hols and the plane lands/taxis to a stop - the unclicking of seat belts so that people can stand up for 10 minutes before they're allowed off. Unfortunately the luggage handlers don't work things that way so it makes no bloody difference.

Utter morons!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    RoyPSB wrote:
    My Wife and I always have a chuckle when we go on hols and the plane lands/taxis to a stop - the unclicking of seat belts so that people can stand up for 10 minutes before they're allowed off. Unfortunately the luggage handlers don't work things that way so it makes no bloody difference.

Utter morons!

A subject close to my heart Roy as you can probably tell from my username!!

Had the cabin crew call us on the interphone telling me people were standing up as I taxied in at Marrakesh one day. Ok I thought here we go on the PA

"Ladies and gentlemen, my cockpit indications are telling me that a number of you have your seatbelts undone, and what's more, some of you are standing up in the cabin. Can I remind you that the seatbelt sign is still illuminated and constitutes a legal order from me, the commander of this aircraft. Those of you failing to comply are in breach of the Air Navigation Order and could face prosecution. I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone how unpleasant being met by airport police here in Morocco at the request of an airline captain could prove to be in the current climate? Ah, that's good, everyone sitting down again, thank you very much. Now there are still one or two who have their belts undone, come on, let's play fair. That's it, just one left now. Kids, take a look at the adults sat next to you and if they have their belt undone wag your finger at them! Well done, that wasn't so hard was it. Seriously folks, it is for your safety. The brakes on this aeroplane can stop all 70 tonnes in a couple of thousand feet of runway from about 150mph. If some clot here at Marrakesh drives his catering truck across in front of me and I have to stand on the brakes you WILL be thrown off your feet if you are standing. Now that's not a problem to me as you are not obeying my lawful order, and therefore you are on your own and not insured. You damage yourself and you lose. However, if you damage someone else, you'll be liable for that and I am sure my airline would pursue you to recover costs. So let's start your holiday with smiles all around shall we? Oh, and to the person who has just unclipped again......"

Cabin crew said you could see the faces of those who had unbuckled quickly doing them up again. Classic! :lol:

PP
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:

Utter morons!

Had the cabin crew call us on the interphone telling me people were standing up as I taxied in at Marrakesh one day. Ok I thought here we go on the PA

"Ladies and gentlemen, my cockpit indications are telling me that a number of you have your seatbelts undone, and what's more, some of you are standing up in the cabin. Can I remind you that the seatbelt sign is still illuminated and constitutes a legal order from me, the commander of this aircraft. Those of you failing to comply are in breach of the Air Navigation Order and could face prosecution. I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone how unpleasant being met by airport police here in Morocco at the request of an airline captain could prove to be in the current climate? Ah, that's good, everyone sitting down again, thank you very much. Now there are still one or two who have their belts undone, come on, let's play fair. That's it, just one left now. Kids, take a look at the adults sat next to you and if they have their belt undone wag your finger at them! Well done, that wasn't so hard was it. Seriously folks, it is for your safety. The brakes on this aeroplane can stop all 70 tonnes in a couple of thousand feet of runway from about 150mph. If some clot here at Marrakesh drives his catering truck across in front of me and I have to stand on the brakes you WILL be thrown off your feet if you are standing. Now that's not a problem to me as you are not obeying my lawful order, and therefore you are on your own and not insured. You damage yourself and you lose. However, if you damage someone else, you'll be liable for that and I am sure my airline would pursue you to recover costs. So let's start your holiday with smiles all around shall we? Oh, and to the person who has just unclipped again......"

Cabin crew said you could see the faces of those who had unbuckled quickly doing them up again. Classic! :lol:

PP

That is priceless pete :lol:

You should have shouted Im coming in and im f`ing gonna kick seven shades of sh*t outta the pasty faced, baseball cap wearing, fat assed, shell suit wearing, double chinned, jeremy kyle show watching , daily star reading chavs who are still on their feet.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Ezy Rider wrote:
    You should have shouted Im coming in and im f`ing gonna kick seven shades of sh*t outta the pasty faced, baseball cap wearing, fat assed, shell suit wearing, double chinned, jeremy kyle show watching , daily star reading chavs who are still on their feet.

I don't think you've quite grasped the concept....
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:

Utter morons!

PP

Nice one Pete :lol: Gave me a good chuckle.
  • pilot_pete
    Ezy Rider wrote:
    That is priceless pete :lol:

Yes, I did consider that approach, but thought it not fair on those wearing Panama hats.... :wink: so deicided against. :lol:

PP
  • Pilot Pete, sorry, I have to ask...

What's your opinion on people who clap when you have successfully landed the plane?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Ezy Rider wrote:

I don't think you've quite grasped the concept....

He's Welsh
  • pilot_pete
    polska1979 wrote:
    Pilot Pete, sorry, I have to ask...

What's your opinion on people who clap when you have successfully landed the plane?

I feel very happy at their relief from shear terror! :wink:

Funny thing is, a passengers idea of a good landing is a very soft landing. A pilots opinion on a good landing is one where the main landing gear makes contact with the runway 1000' in from the threshold (the start of the runway). Firm is good, soft is ok. Mr Boeing designed my aeroplane and made all his landing performance calculations (things like stopping distances on dry runways, wet runways, contaminated runways) based on the pilot putting the thing on the ground 1000' feet in. Any pilot can hold the aircraft off in the flare and kiss the Tarmac, trouble is you are then eating up runway at an incredible rate therefore completely compromising your landing performance calculation. Not a great problem on 10,000' at Manchester, but a very scary scenario somewhere like Chambery in the South of France where you have less than 6000'. My landings in Chambery are firm, deliberately so. Many people comment on it being 'hard'. I take that as a compliment but refrain from explaining that the fact I pulled up with 1000' of runway to spare was exactly what I intended to do. So no kissing the gear on when it risks running off the other end!!!

Sorry for the thread creep!

Back on topic I had a bus driver overtake on a wide country lane near Tarporley in Cheshire last week, just before a bend. As soon as he started to pull past a car appeared from the opposite direction. He was halfway past me when he realised that he needed to be back on his own side of the road. I end up in the grass verge as he pulls sharply in on me, clipping my right arm with the side of his bus. He shoots off without stopping. I failed to get his number...

So bad decision by an impatient 'professional' driver, and an even worse one to just drive away. :cry:

PP
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Drivers accelerating to a stop sigh or red light; what's that all about then? Maybe fuel is too cheap.