how to handle roundabouts and junctions with clipless pedals

davala95
davala95 Posts: 86
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Lately I have been encountering more roundabouts and junctions the further a field I and I brick myself at everyone.

With my new clipless pedals i don't really know whether to stop, unclip ect.

And

where on the roundabout I should be riding ???
bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    well....if you stop, then unclip, if you don't, then don't. To be honest, it sounds like you need more practice getting clipped/unclipped, it should nt affect how you ride at all - especially in traffic. If you want something to practice, maybe try riding slowly on a quiet road, even practising trackstands so you feel bit more confident at slow speeds. e.g. fix two points and try and get the SLOWEST time between the two...

You should be in the same place you'd be in a car at junctions/roundabouts...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    According to the highway code you're entitled to cycle around the outside lane of roundabouts; however I'm not convinced all motor vehicle operators are familiar with this rule. Though I've never read it many folk recommend cyclecraft which I imagine gives sound advice on how to stay safe in most situations.

Be assertive, make eye contact with other road users. I tend to ride the lane I would take in my car but it may depend on the roundabout in question. Is there a particular roundabout in Brecon that you're thinking of? :lol:

I'm not sure how clipless pedals affect your decisions - maybe you need to loosen them so you can be absolutely sure you can take your foot out? I don't think your decision to stop / continue should be swayed by your pedal choice.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    As others have said - you should ride the same with clipless as you would without. If the clipless pedals are making you change your actions then you need to change something or practice - perhaps try loosening the tension?
  • Ok thanks for the advice

Probably my inexperience

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    If you aren't confident with the clipless pedals then unclip on the approach to a junction but leave your foot in place. That way if you need to stop you can just put your foot down but if you don't all you have to do is put some downward pressure on the pedal and clip back in. It's better than having to unclip at the last second and finding you can't get out due to panic.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    This +1, takes all the stress out of it! On a busy junction I unclip with about 20 yards to go.
    Pross wrote:
    If you aren't confident with the clipless pedals then unclip on the approach to a junction but leave your foot in place. That way if you need to stop you can just put your foot down but if you don't all you have to do is put some downward pressure on the pedal and clip back in. It's better than having to unclip at the last second and finding you can't get out due to panic.

Regards, EarlyGo
  • +1 re unclipping.

If I am using a busy cycle path with many a dog , child wobbly cyclist I tend to unclip as I approach them to allow for the random actions some take - throwing the brakes on and putting foot down is alot better than going sideways onto the floor.

At junctions and roundabouts try and position yourself early enough that cars are not tempted to squeeze past you , if they want to get past they have to do a 'proper' overtake , this all comes with experience , have a read of the highway code fo positioning and then have a practise on roundabouts your familiar with , the same principle applies on all of them , be aware of advance signing indicating which lane to be in but never take that as gospel for car drivers !!!

If in doubt , unclip , as said earlier lots of practise clipping in and out will bring greater confidence , learning to read the road will help but most of all be safe while your doing any of them , car v bike - the car always wins right or wrong !!

regards VH
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Perhaps it's just me but the bigger problem I have with my look keos is not getting out of them but getting back into them while pulling out into the junction/roundabout. Using the version of the cleats with small rubber pads has made the times that I fail to clip in much less of a problem then I used to have with the cheaper cleats which would ofte have my foot skidding off the peddle, but even now I still have the odd moment...

Andy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    gloomyandy wrote:
    Perhaps it's just me but the bigger problem I have with my look keos is not getting out of them but getting back into them while pulling out into the junction/roundabout. Using the version of the cleats with small rubber pads has made the times that I fail to clip in much less of a problem then I used to have with the cheaper cleats which would ofte have my foot skidding off the peddle, but even now I still have the odd moment...

Andy

Do you use overshoes? I've been struggling a lot recently with overshoes on despite having used clipless pedals for 20 odd years!
  • gloomyandy wrote:
    Perhaps it's just me but the bigger problem I have with my look keos is not getting out of them but getting back into them while pulling out into the junction/roundabout. Using the version of the cleats with small rubber pads has made the times that I fail to clip in much less of a problem then I used to have with the cheaper cleats which would ofte have my foot skidding off the peddle, but even now I still have the odd moment...

Andy

+1 . I ok at getting out but when I need the power to get across the junction my foot accuracy fails me and end up skidding off the pedal

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Practice a bit. Then go and practice some more and when you've finished that, have a cup of tea. Then go and practice for another hour.

Clips aren't difficult. It's just a matter of - would you believe? - practice.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    ^+1

And we ve all been there, it will come with time, one day you ll realise you re doing it without thinking...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I've recently bought my first road bike and clipless pedals, so I'm new to all this as well. Heres what I do, the pedals came supplied with a plastic piece that clips in making it a flat pedal, so I've left the right pedal as a clipless one side/flat the other side. I unclip a few yards away and flip the pedal over and use the flat side. No panic, no fuss, if you need to stop,your'e unclipped already, or you can just pedal on using the flat side if you dont need to stop. It looks a bit naff, but it does the job for me. I should mention I'm using MTB shoes, so I have no idea if this is an option for road shoes.
  • davala95 wrote:
    Lately I have been encountering more roundabouts and junctions the further a field I and I brick myself at everyone.

This is general practice when I'm out. If it's a small round about I tend to stick to the outside and inevitably someone tries to drive through me. We're usually going at a crawling pace so they (have so far) stopped in time.

Cycle Craft is good though. Teaches you to blag it out and claim yours space. When I'm on the road now I no longer automatically skim the curve but will roll in the middle of the lane. I'm still not good on round abouts - I don't drive so saying 'go where a car goes' isn't really helpful - I'm better at junctions.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • I've ridden 4 times in SPD clips. I tend to slw down ahead of red lights and hope they change. If it isn't happening (ie I have to stop) I unclip my left foot and pedal slowly with my shoe on the pedal.

I'm not great at clipping back in but it's getting better. Nearly fell off yesterday though when I needed my right foot free! I would have hit the deck but the loose clip came undone just before I landed. Rescued a flop onto the floor but looked to all the world that I was going to!
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Read the road in advance and you should be ok. I unclip at the juctions that I cannot see properly unless really slow or blind junctions. I use SPDs and they are easy out and in without problems.
  • Only ever try to un-clip with the foot at the bottom of the stroke. Sometimes, especially if you're in a bit of a panic, you can end up trying to do it at the front, back or top of the stroke - and I find that there's no way I can get enough twist with my foot to undo the clip (unless I wrench my knee and force the clip out).

So on the approach to where I may have to stop I make a conscious effort to put the appropriate foot (normally my right) at the bottom as I'm free-wheeling along.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have double-sided PD-M540 pedals and I unclip one foot well in advance of junctions or roundabouts etc. I find with these pedals, when one foot is unclipped I can still pedal along easily enough with my unclipped right foot slightly further forward but still pressing hard on the pedal, so that I don't need to clip-in again till I'm safely past the obstacle. Because they are double-sided I find clipping back in really easy without looking down and faffing about. I only started with clipless pedals last year and I don't feel confident that I can unclip quickly if I have to do an emergency stop so that is why I'm a bit ultra-cautious.
  • Not at 19mph in the damp as i did last night...