What do you have in your cycling wardrobe?

SimonPieman
SimonPieman Posts: 206
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
What combinations of cycle clothing do you use for the various seasons, I am relooking at what I have and interested in what you all use and trust?

Tar!
1990 - Trek 950
1991 - Orbit America Multiflo
1992 - Orbit STOLEN!
1992 - Roberts DOGS BOLX
1994 - Roberts STOLEN!
2003 - Specialized Epic
2006 - Specialized Allez Elite

Comments

• summer - my team kit, - usually only wear oversocks to go with my team kit :P it's nice most the time! plus im racing so speedsuit.

winter - my team kit :P - overshoes, bib tights, magic gloves and then proper gloves on top, possibly two pairs of socks also! depending on how cold it is! base layer (short sleeved) and then thermal armwarmers (team issue)

sprint, pretty much same as winter just a few less layers!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • oh if your after new kit, i would go for endura :) it's very good :) im as warm as i was in bed :) :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Ok, I'm too scared to count how many I have....

Road
    *4 bib shorts (2 Endura, 2 club) - want to get some swanky ones for long marathons though soon
    *7-8 jerseys (!!!) - club/pro team/general
    *thin (old) waterproof
    *Endura Stealth tights

MTB
    *I use the same bib shorts
    *couple more baggy jerseys
    *Endura Ventui II waterproof trousers
    *Endura MT500 spray baggies
    *EnduraSingletrack shorts
    *EnduraSingletrack 3/4 shorts
    *One old winter jersey
    *one club long sleeve jersey

Both
    *long sleeve skins base layer
    *short, light summer base layer
    *couple of Helly Hanson layers (although I use these for running/walking mostly)
    *Sidi MTB shows
    *Shimano Winter boots
    *Endura softshell
    *Endura Venturi II jacket
    *Endura Stealth Jacket
    *Endura Equipe Long finger gloves
    *Seal Skin winter gloves
    *Troy lee XC gloves
    *Spesh fingerless gloves
    *loads of socks (many with holes :( )

Jaysus, no wonder I'm always skint! And Jaysus how much Black Endura stuff do I have!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Bog standard tightwad leisure cyclist:

Decent bibshorts, old worn out shorts (for under longs without pad), lycra long bibs, roubaix long bibs – one of each.
    Jerseys – 2no. short, 1no. long, whatever I could find in the sale which wasn’t too lurid.
    Shoes, 2 pairs (old winter pair are slack enough for fat socks, new pair, neat). Softshell winter gloves, several pairs of fingerless gloves. Shoe covers. Arm warmers.

Base layers, wool & synthetic, stretch fleece beanie & various socks; not sure if these count as "cycling wardrobe" - none are cycling specific designs & I'd have them for other outdoor activities if I didn't cycle.

And a softshell jacket.

The extent of the list surprises me, esp as I have zero kit redundancy...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Apart from helmet & footwear, the rest fits in a single drawer.

2 x SS top, 2 x LS top, (all quite lurid Planet X sale stuff)
    DHB bibshorts, DHB roubaix bibtights, LS baselayers of merino, bamboo, and something synthetic from M&S.
    Various socks including Woolie Boolies, M&S thermals, and some freebies off the front of a cycling mag.
    Endura jaffa jacket from my MTB days, Cropton jacket free with C+ subscription, brand new Gore Path jacket.
    2 x buffs (one off the front of a mag, the other with Polartec fleecy bit), Spesh mitts, Altura winter gloves, Bolle Contour safety specs (£7 off Ebay)
    New Giro Atmos helmet (another PX sale!) and some very old Nike SPD touring shoes which refuse to die. And some PX overshoes (another bargain)

Now the snow's receding I'll be venturing out tonight wearing a carefully chosen selection of the above
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Far too much to list.

I wish the weather would be more consistent. I'm a weekend rider anyway and the weather keeps flitting from one season to the next without warning. I'm sure it wasnt like this in the olden days.
  • More than I'd ever let the mrs know about!

Just bought two more jerseys and bib shorts.
    I think I have a problem :?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Like many others, a whole load of kit is in my wardrobe.

The core stuff that gets the most use: 2 Altura/Endura baselayers (1 thin one for autumn/spring and 1 thick one for winter), a decent (expensive) pair of Castelli bib shorts that get worn all year when outside (thin tights over the top when needed), cheap Altura shorts on the turbo and an Altura pacamac that goes in the back of my jersey for days when I just know a shower/wind proof thing may be handy.

The stuff that doesn't get used: arm/legwarmers and expensive rain jacket (because I just end up getting wet through sweat whatever the breathable claims).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a walk-in wardrobe solely dedicated to my cycling stuff - but I have to swap-out between summer and winter as there's 2 huge holdalls of summer stuff in the attic! Mine can be pretty well be divided into:
    1. Deep winter - for when it gets below zero and particularly snow and ice including extra layers
    2. Normal winter - thermal windstopper jackets and bib tights and thermal tops, hats, headbands, gloves, overshoes
    3. Spring / Autumn - lighter weight tights, gilets, long sleeve jerseys, lightweight shell jackets, 3/4 tights
    4. Summer - shorts, short sleeve tops
    5. Racing - team kits and skinsuits, gilets, warmers
    6. Turbo - old team kits and shorts
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ddraver
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I have a walk-in wardrobe solely dedicated to my cycling stuff - but I have to swap-out between summer and winter as there's 2 huge holdalls of summer stuff in the attic! Mine can be pretty well be divided into:
    1. Deep winter - for when it gets below zero and particularly snow and ice including extra layers
    2. Normal winter - thermal windstopper jackets and bib tights and thermal tops, hats, headbands, gloves, overshoes
    3. Spring / Autumn - lighter weight tights, gilets, long sleeve jerseys, lightweight shell jackets, 3/4 tights
    4. Summer - shorts, short sleeve tops
    5. Racing - team kits and skinsuits, gilets, warmers
    6. Turbo - old team kits and shorts

Well , I feel better, thanks!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Stolen from the commuters..

wardrobe.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • As with many others far far far to much - I have 5 cycling s/s tops , 2 thin l/s tops , 2 softshells , a rain jacket , numerous smelly handsomes , merino base layer , crap chinese copy team kit (turbo till the crap stuff dies ) , touring shoes x 2 , race style shoes x 2 , overshoes , helmet , skully , clear glasses , sunglasses , cycling socks (pressies ).
    I will stop at that in case the future wife comes back in and reads this.

The above items are subject of OMERTA ( mafia code of silence ) as far future MRS VH is concerned.

I have found spreading it out in various rooms makes it look less !!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • I have...

3 running trousers (I don't like padded cycling shorts)
    2 padded cycling shorts (I don't wear them)
    3 cycling jerseys
    1 merino long sleeve baselayer
    1 all weather endura jacket
    1 mtb jacket
    SPD Clip cycling shoes

Most of my stuff is in black and I look like The Original Chubby Ninja.

And I pretty much use all of it. There are a few other pieces I wear occasionally (bright pink gillet cos most of my stuff is black, and it's useful for night time.)

My favourite piece is my endura jacket, it's pretty tight but it's water proof, breathable, not too hot in the Summer and keeps me warm in the winter. I think it was about 90 quid when I got it about a year ago.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com