VooDoo Bantu vs Carrera Vulcan!

Darkstalker420
Darkstalker420 Posts: 212
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Will be (finally!) retiring my old M Trax (1996 :shock: ) after years of service. And have been on the lookout for a new ride. I have a budget of £400 MAX and will be just cruising the trails with the mrs so can't really warrant spending £££'s.

I have narrowed it down to the VooDoo Bantu and the Carrera Vulcan. They both seem well setup for the price (hydro disk brakes to!). Though i feel the VooDoo has the better fork (i think!) just wanted to get some more opinions really (leaning to the VooDoo to be honest...... BUT the Vulcan ain't far behind :roll: ).

Thanks.

Comments

• The Bantu does have the better fork. I think a fairer comparison would be between the Bantu and the Kraken. However I would still sway towards the Bantu. :)
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Both possibly a bit hardcore for cruising the trails with the mrs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:
    Both possibly a bit hardcore for cruising the trails with the mrs.
    Unless he means cruising fort bill with the mrs, you never know.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good point.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Go Kraken, looks better.
  • Lol! i would be hitting some rough stuff to (mrs has a bad lower back so will have to take it easy until her fitness level improves) but the bike would get "used" (and abused :twisted: ). Glad i was right about the fork on the VooDoo as i'm not familiar with the brand (Suntour i think?? i know they make transmission parts just not sure how good the forks are)..... Last time i was "into" mountain biking RockShox Judy's were the "thing" :shock: .

I will look into the Kraken but have to say i'm almost certain the VooDoo is the one. BUT not 100% yet mind. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    My mate has a bantu, seems well solid for the ££s, better than my crappy saracen anyway. Whichever colour you prefer I'd go for.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Had a look at the Kraken. Nice ride BUT £50 over budget..... And white!!! :( (£449.99) . Have to say the Bantu looks to be the one (even like the colour :D ). Was in Halfords a while back and spotted a few of the VooDoo's (can't remember which. One was a browny/red frame Suntour fork like the Bantu but grey/black) but they seemed well specced/designed.

Thanks.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    edited February 2012
    I'd go for the Voodoo as it's got an air fork so you'll be able to set the sag properly. I've got a 2008 (Red) Vulcan and ended up ditching the coil sprung Suntour XCM fork becuase I couldn't set the preload high enough for my fat derriere and it was next to useless on rough stuff. If you're 70kg or less the coil sprung forks might be ok but even then I'd still go for the Voodoo.
  • Neal_
    oops
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Neal_ wrote:
    If you're 70kg or less the coil sprung forks might be ok
    Lol the lad is about 68Kg and the XCM's (may be different spring rate) on his Spesh P1 were far too stiff, even on the softest preload he could only get about 65mm travel of the 100mm (and he rides like a hooligan), now on Manitou airs where he's getting over 100mm of the 120mm travel regularily.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neal_
    Lol the lad is about 68Kg and the XCM's (may be different spring rate) on his Spesh P1 were far too stiff, even on the softest preload he could only get about 65mm travel of the 100mm (and he rides like a hooligan), now on Manitou airs where he's getting over 100mm of the 120mm travel regularily.

Simon

I must have had a really light spring in my XCM's....or maybe I'm just really fat :|
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134

I had exactly the same thing with an RST Deuce Coil fork. Gutted I wasn't fat enough to get the best out of a fork!
  • LMAO! i was 70kg...... For a while when i was in my teens :lol:. I reckon i must be 14 stone+ now so 80+kg :oops: i have some RST Gila T6's on my M Trax (removed one of the spring stacks so they ACTUALLY MOVE!) and i can't wind on enough preload with them so i know what thats like.

Thanks.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I'm 13 stone and get about half the travel out of my shite suntour xct forks. Stroll on the summer and the new bike :-)