Beware of the thaw!

bartimaeus
bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Crossed this field (bridle path) going up to QE at 9:30am this morning and it was frozen solid. By the time we came back at 12:45pm it had thawed... could not even pedal downhill the mud was so sticky.
IMAG0466.jpg
Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building

Comments

• Lol. That is awesome! Glad I went out yesterday in the ice and snow, came back pristine!
  • Mine looked exactly the same today. Though I didn't mind the short blasts through thick mud (using the word 'blast' lightly!). It was the cycle track home, where it wasn't really muddy......just soft. It plays with your mind. You start wondering if you're getting unfit! I gave up and hit the road in the end. Much better.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Mine looked exactly the same today. Though I didn't mind the short blasts through thick mud (using the word 'blast' lightly!). It was the cycle track home, where it wasn't really muddy......just soft. It plays with your mind. You start wondering if you're getting unfit! I gave up and hit the road in the end. Much better.
    Hah, yeah I was out at Penmachno today, and constantly thought I had a flat tyre or a brake was dragging or something. Think it was just that the fire roads had thawed out and become reallllly soft. Horrible stuff, fire roads are meant to be easy!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,660
    I'm sooo looking forward to doing Bedgebury this week....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Keep an eye on your stays if you're riding in that stuff. Wore right through the paint and left a gouge on my Scandal from all the dirt and gravel getting dragged through there.
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    we had the same thing a week or so ago, went off route via an endomondo gps map, across a ploughed field, couldn't physically ride any more as the bike was clagged up so much. to add insult to injury had to lift it over a 5 ft swing gate to get into the next field, bike weighed down with twice it's own weight in mud.
    being quite observant here, are you sporting Shimano am41's, how do you get on with them, do they keep your feet toasty?

dave
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Yep - am41s and Sealskinz merino socks... lovely and warm!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I fell off on a large patch of ice in the morning (ouch). Then went out in the night, to find that all the ice had turned into sticky 'orrible mud. I looked like I'd stood in front of a mud hose when I got back. Managed not to fall off in the night though (for a change) - the mud was slowing me down, and I really hate landing in thick mud.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Someone was explaining to me that the lower the temp the slushier the mud when it thaws. Something about the ice breaking the cells.

I am embarrassed to say I rode my indoor bike this weekend.