Motivation needed.

davala95
davala95 Posts: 86
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I love my bikes but i hate early mornings (don't know whether its a teenager thing)

I just can't get up....

Any advice for getting up quickly and out onto the bike ???

thanks
bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390

Comments

• nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Put your alarm clock out of arm's reach. I wake up to Grieg's Morning Mood.

Do your daily dozen as soon as you're up.

Eat something and go.

Repeat.
  • For me, its just a case of routine....get into the habbit of getting up early and it gets alot easier.

Or set an alarm and leave it somewhere you are forced to get out of bed to turn it off, and preferably one without a snooze button!

Also alot easier to sort out your kit the night before. I hate sorting it first thing in the morning. I was in the army for 7 years so its kind of second nature now though....but thats what I used to do in the begining.
    Pain is a momentary lapse of character.
  • good idea with the alarm out of reach

thanks

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I hate mornings too! Never have liked them, always had the luxury of time to spare, no need to rush, which stopped me from having to be motivated.

Adjust what you do so that you don't have time to spare, it will motivate you. Learn to run late for everything, you'll be amazed at how motivated you feel when you are running late, it will help raise your averages too. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,165
    afaik it's a teenager thing, tend to go to sleep later, need more sleep anyway (at least 9 hours), wake up even later

develop the habit of going to sleep earlier, then you'll find it (a bit) easier to wake earlier - don't nap in the day, in the evening avoid caffeine/other stimulants, for 2-3 hours before you want to sleep avoid tv, music, interweb, gaming etc., do calm stuff, read, say om

definitely get stuff ready the night before

in the morning, get up the moment the alarm goes, turn on *bright* light (dayight bulb is good), cold water on the face, breakfast, dress, ride

for most of my teens i had to get up at 6 for a long journey to school, bloody miserable, especially in winter, but once in the habit it can be done, imho doing it for a ride is far preferable!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cadseen wrote:
    Go training later :lol:
    7eab65b5

I'm too embarrassed.... I know it sounds bad but I hate attention

I want too get out before anyone sees me :oops:

• why?? you are riding a bike, people will see you - fact.
    seriously, who cares?!! fact is you are training and most people who look at you look with jealous eyes because they are not.

dont ever be put off training by any comments or stares from people.
    you will quickly get comfortable riding in front of people and wearing cycle clothing.
    when i first bought a pair of bibshorts and a jersey i was very self conscious. i felt it didnt suit me and only highlighted the rolls of flab. but it didnt look half as bad as i thought.
    you do get a few comments from people you pass every now and again, but just remember that those comments are born out of jealousy. dont ever let it put you off, just smile and think to yourself how brilliant it feels to ride a bike and how much fitter you are for it! :D
  • why?? you are riding a bike, people will see you - fact.
    seriously, who cares?!! fact is you are training and most people who look at you look with jealous eyes because they are not.

dont ever be put off training by any comments or stares from people.
    you will quickly get comfortable riding in front of people and wearing cycle clothing.
    when i first bought a pair of bibshorts and a jersey i was very self conscious. i felt it didnt suit me and only highlighted the rolls of flab. but it didnt look half as bad as i thought.
    you do get a few comments from people you pass every now and again, but just remember that those comments are born out of jealousy. dont ever let it put you off, just smile and think to yourself how brilliant it feels to ride a bike and how much fitter you are for it! :D

Thanks....good advice
    I also am in with a group of teens who find cycling odd (no matter how hard I try to change their mind) so I am definitely self-concious about it . :oops:

• Kamzter
    Kamzter Posts: 191
    You live in Brecon, Wales, what more motivation do you need?
    There are plenty of lads n lass's wanting to cycle around wales !!
    40 mph in a 30 zone officer? nah, I've only been out for the last 5 minutes !!
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Join a club then you'll have to be at the meeting point for a certain time so hopefully motivate you.
    No need to be self conscious as there'll be safety in numbers!!
  • I would say as others have, alarm clock out of reach. Lay out your gear before going to bed so not fumbling around. Most importantly go to bed at a decent time, dont stay up to the early hours chatting on Facebook!!
    Have some breakfast, once you are out you will be glad you got up!!
    1990 - Trek 950
    1991 - Orbit America Multiflo
    1992 - Orbit STOLEN!
    1992 - Roberts DOGS BOLX
    1994 - Roberts STOLEN!
    2003 - Specialized Epic
    2006 - Specialized Allez Elite
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Well. You either want to be out on your bike, or you don't. No-one on here can make you want to so if staying in bed is your default preference that's what'll happen until you decide otherwise.

As for other not wanting other people to see you, que? IME being on a bike transforms me to at best anonymous, at worst invisible. Who cares what other people care? Come on sonny - up and at 'em. And when you're not on your bike pull your trousers up too. It seems these days that young people imagine that everyone wants to see their pants by pulling them down so the crotch is round your knees. Wrong wrong wrong.
  • CiB wrote:
    Well. You either want to be out on your bike, or you don't. No-one on here can make you want to so if staying in bed is your default preference that's what'll happen until you decide otherwise.

As for other not wanting other people to see you, que? IME being on a bike transforms me to at best anonymous, at worst invisible. Who cares what other people care? Come on sonny - up and at 'em. And when you're not on your bike pull your trousers up too. It seems these days that young people imagine that everyone wants to see their pants by pulling them down so the crotch is round your knees. Wrong wrong wrong.

I concur, here here!
    1990 - Trek 950
    1991 - Orbit America Multiflo
    1992 - Orbit STOLEN!
    1992 - Roberts DOGS BOLX
    1994 - Roberts STOLEN!
    2003 - Specialized Epic
    2006 - Specialized Allez Elite
  • Stop playing with yourself - or better still go to bed with bibs on- they'll work like anti wank pants and let you know that the bikes a-calling :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • well, tried all the advice given and it actually works...

thanks guys

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    What? You pulled your trousers up so that we can't see your underpants? Good effort there.
  • CiB wrote:
    What? You pulled your trousers up so that we can't see your underpants? Good effort there.

ha ... No went out with them down ... now that would attracted some attention

no I was on about the alarm clock thing!

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I go out on the bike I want people to see me, that way I tend not to get run over so often.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Best motivation is to arrange to ride with a mate - you can justify not getting up to yourself when riding alone, but if you have arranged to meet a friend at a given time, you will feel guilty if you don't get up to meet them. Plus riding with a mate is more fun anyway.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Plus riding with a mate is more fun anyway.

Agreed but they need a bike :/ which most of my mates don't