Pannier/Rack for bike without mounts

chrispee44
chrispee44 Posts: 28
edited February 2012 in Tour & expedition
I have an Orbea Aqua and im pretty sure it has no rack mounts etc, I would like to do some light touring on it so has anybody got any recommendations for panniers/racks that are suitable for my bike?

Ta

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I Chris. It's worth doing a search you'll find that this question gets asked quite regularly.

A quick survey of the options:

- saddlebag;
    - normal rack with 'p-clips' possibly combined with a seatclamp that provides rack mounting points;
    - a rack that uses the rear axle to provide a set of mounting points (eg some tubus racks but you need to buy an accessory kit);
    - a cantilever rack. People do use and SFAIK nothing really awful happens to them, but bear in mind they are relatively heavy and have a fairly low maximum eight limit - so I'm not sure they have any advantages over saddlebags.
  • a friend of mine used one of these on a orbea road bike when we cycled from bristol to paris, you would need a seat collar that has mounts for up the top as well. easily available at a godd bike shop.

i would avoid p cplips

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/121587.html
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Old Man Mountain make racks specifically for MTBs without rack brazeons - UK agents are Carradice