Rockhopper Expert 12 possible upgrades

Abitofsense
Abitofsense Posts: 8
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Hi all

I got my Rockhopper Expert 2012 http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=61514&scid=1100&scname=Mountain last weekend and what a bike. The only thing is now i damaged my finger at work and will be out of action for 2 months. So instead of cycling im going to look into upgrades for my bike that will make it even better.
So my question is what in your opinion should i start with when upgrading parts (note im an MTB beginner and learning fast :roll: )

any advice or comments would be great.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless some parts are uncomfortable, leave it alone until parts wear out.

When you are well, ride the bike more and see if you can identify areas which may be letting you down.

Or you should have bought a better bike to start!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    decent pedals
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Ride it for a bit... no point in changing anything, much until you decide what you do and don't like.

That said... pedals, definitely, and tyres maybe. The stock pedals don't look up to much - so if you want SPDs then go for it, otherwise get something like Wellgo MG1s or Superstars Nanos. Try the tyres out - they may or may not work for you where you ride. In my experience tyres make a big difference - but everyone has different opinions, and the local terrain and conditions are a big factor. Make sure you have warm clothes and comfy shoes - the more comfortable you are the more you will ride. And get some lights so you can night ride!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building