Which Phone?

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
OK, phone upgrade time, I'm sticking with Android. The shortlist is:

Samsung Galaxy SII (good GPU)
Samsung Galaxy SIII (means waiting until April)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (4.65" 720p Screen)
HTC Sensation XE (1.5GHz Dual Core)
HTC Sensation XL (4.7" Screen)
HTC Evo3D (3D Camera)
LG Optimus 3D (3D Camera)

I'm leaning towards the Nexus but I figure the SIII (and HTC's first few Android 4.0 phones) will overcome it's limitations.

Any good reasons to drop any of these from the list?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• Good question as my HD2 is due for upgrade on March 25 so I have a similar list. 3D is of little interest, but I do like HTC kit... I have Android ICS 4.0.3 on the tablet and its fine... and Nexus high on my list too... decisions, decisions...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    HTC. Samsungs feel cheap and plasticky by comparison.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    HTC Evo3D (3D Camera)
    The Evo is £229 at Asda right now - seems like a good price.
  • Initialised
    jamesco wrote:
    HTC Evo3D (3D Camera)
    The Evo is £229 at Asda right now - seems like a good price.
    Yeah, I saw that but I'll probably stick with three.

I'm kind of thinking that the SIII (or the equivalent HTC) will combine the benefits of the Nexus and Sii but my Desire is sometimes cutting out so I need to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Also does anyone have a good method for porting data from one android to another?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    http://www.mobilegazette.com/out-now.htm

HTC's are reported to have serious battery issues. The LG's aren't there yet. The S2 is a little long in the tooth. All of which is why I went with the Galaxy Nexus.

I love it, best phone I have ever had.

Ice Scream Sandwich is so good I see very little point in having an overlay like Android Sense or Samsung/LG's version. That said the S3 is likely to be a better phone (better camera).

I also look at reviews here: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Initialised
    Yeah, I know about the HTC battery issues, my Desire is getting to the point where it's not lasting a whole day and sometime turning off while tracking with Endomondo on the return trip. On the plus side it has survived several crashes and being put in the washing machine.

Also been through BR's sister site (they review my PCs).

Probably going to get the Nexus. I'm only using 4GB of my 8GB card right now so (hopefully) the lack of an SD slot's not an issue.

Can the Nexus be OC'd to 1.5GHz like the Sensation Vanilla?

Android 4.0 isn't an issue as all current Sensations and Galaxy SII will get updates.

Will I miss HTC Sense?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Problem with waiting is there is nearly always some new super phone on horizon
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666