Cleaning a Chain without a Workstand

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

I have a Park Chain Cleaner and I would clean my chain and cassette more often if I had a workstand but I haven't the money to buy one. At the moment I'm having to get one of the children to lift up the back of bike but it's not ideal. I was wondering how other people that don't have a workstand manage. Is there something that I can buy that is cheaper than a workstand that will do the trick?

Thanks

Comments

• I havent actually used one before but looking at videos if you put it on the bottom of the chain you can surely just backpedal the chain through? Wouldn't need to lift the bike then.
  • Exactly what I do and yet I have a workstand.
  • Richard36 wrote:
    Hi

I have a Park Chain Cleaner and I would clean my chain and cassette more often if I had a workstand but I haven't the money to buy one. At the moment I'm having to get one of the children to lift up the back of bike but it's not ideal. I was wondering how other people that don't have a workstand manage. Is there something that I can buy that is cheaper than a workstand that will do the trick?

Thanks

Depends how bad it is!? Firstly, I'd recommend using using dry lube as it picks up less 'gunk' then either just give it a wipe down using an old rag whilst using your hand to pedal backwards or, use a 'power link' chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871 or similar to easily remove the chain and then give a deeper clean
    GT I-drive
    Giant tcr composite
  • Thanks

I have used it as Mike has suggested but I find it easier to use by pedalling forward and for that reason and other cleaning jobs I find it easier for the bike to be off the ground. The bracket suggested by Gizmodo may be the answer.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Richard36 wrote:
    Thanks

I have used it as Mike has suggested but I find it easier to use by pedalling forward and for that reason and other cleaning jobs I find it easier for the bike to be off the ground. The bracket suggested by Gizmodo may be the answer.

They are designed to be used by back pedalling though probably it doesn't make much difference. I don't understand how it could be easier to use pedalling forwards as then you are moving the wheel as well. Are you gears correctly indexed (that being the only reason I can think why it would be harder to do it back pedalling)?

BTW, I have a workstand and never use it for chain cleaning.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Pro approach?
    pedalling forward is better when cleaning a chain so to get you bike off the ground, bend over, stick you head through the frame, rest the top tube on the back of your neck, straighten up and you then have two hands free and a stable bike.

Don't wear a tie, and mind your face, clipless pedals can hurt your ears! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    pro's do some stupid things.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    team47b wrote:
    Pro approach?
    pedalling forward is better when cleaning a chain so to get you bike off the ground, bend over, stick you head through the frame, rest the top tube on the back of your neck, straighten up and you then have two hands free and a stable bike.

Don't wear a tie, and mind your face, clipless pedals can hurt your ears! :D

Ammendment to my last bit of stupid advice, just tested out my own theory, ears still smarting!

If you have a small frame, but lots of seat post tuck the saddle behind your head to rest your neck instead.

Not just pro's, anyone can do stupid things! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Turn your bike upside down so it rests on the bars and saddle (take of scratchable things such as the computer).
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you've got a quick link, take the chain off and drop it in a jar of white spirit. Shake rattle and roll and hey presto, clean chain.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}