Probably a terrible idea, but I've done it anyway

SirDidymus
SirDidymus Posts: 33
edited February 2012 in MTB general
So, I've got the standard specialized fast track tire, that was on most £500 bikes when i got mine, and decided to buy some better ones. Bought some Mountain King tires, but wasn't thinking right when i got 'em resulting in some 2.4 inch "babies"

Put the first one on the front... looked at it, thought "that looks alright, time for a cup of tea" and so far, after two months I've had a 2.4 inch tire at the front, and 2.0 one at the back.

Would that affect balance, in some awful way, or doesn't it really matter?

One day i'll get to the back tire....

Comments

• Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    it'll be fine.

quite a few people, me included run a wider tyre at the front. more traction at the front, less drag at the back = win
  • I've you haven't noticed the balance being different in 2 months riding, I think it may be ok !
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    most of specialized's fs bikes run a bigger tyre on the front than the rear, ive done the same on my ht for the last 18 months
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I've got a 2.35 on the front and a 2.1 on the back, it's quite common to run fatter up front as that's the tyre you don't want to wash out on you. Having a thinner tyre on the back also means you'll cut through mud better and so get more traction from solid ground underneath... in theory at least - though I'm not sure half an inch makes much difference in reality.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Huh. Well, shows how much i know about MTB stuff. The title seems all a bit silly now.
  • SirDidymus wrote:
    Huh. Well, shows how much i know about MTB stuff. The title seems all a bit silly now.
    Ditto, I seemingly don't know too much either as I thought it could be a problem :-)
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Just make sure there is clearance and they aren't eating your frame/forks.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    it's alright, it's a 2.4 Mountain King, it's not like it'll measure anywhere near 2.4 inches.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Can't see the problem.

Sometimes have a 2.25 up front and a 1.9 out the back.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Northwind wrote:
    it's alright, it's a 2.4 Mountain King, it's not like it'll measure anywhere near 2.4 inches.
    probably not much bigger than the fast track that was on in the first place, but then specialized seem to be very generous in there tyre size's
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011