Tubeless setup

dys0n
dys0n Posts: 9
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've been reading up the pro's & con's and i've decided to go tubeless. So which kit would be best for my bike i have a Canyon AL 6.0

Rims = Mavic Crossride Disc
Tires = Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 & Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution Line 2.25

Are they any changes i need to make in order for the system to work at it's best, from what i know the rims are tubeless ready. Also which kit would you guys recommend, seems Stans no tubes is the way to go?

Comments

• You need the standard Stans tubeless kit, Crossrides are not tubeless ready. I think they are the same rim as an XM719, I've got one on the back and managed to get it to go up first time with a track pump, however every time I've changed tyres since I've needed to use a compressor to seat the beads.
  • I don't think you can go tubless with Crossride Discs as the Rim is not UST (Universal Standard Tubless) compatible, meaning that the rim and spoke holes are not leaky, I don't think you can make a normal rim into a UST one but might be wrong. You will also need UST tyres.

If you do go tube less start with a Stans Tubless kit but in my honest opinion it is a lot of Faff and is messy. I switched back to tubes and haven't looked back since. I guess your XC rider looking to shave a few grams? My advice stick to tubes, probably lighter ones if tyres are hardy enough.
    2022 Specialized Crux Comp Gravel destroyer
    Single speed 46x16 Traffic eliminator
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    Try looking here http://www.notubes.com/help_center_rim_strips.aspx

This might let you know if it's possible
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    simonekarl wrote:
    it is a lot of Faff and is messy. I switched back to tubes and haven't looked back since.

Same here, it was just hassle with no real benefits. 'Proper' tubeless may work better, but converting standard rims and tyres is a ballache.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've never used a Stans strip but I had a decent stab at "ghetto" with BMX tubes on 717s, it took quite a lot of effort and hassle and irritation out on rides just to get it to the point where it wasn't a total disaster. Probably could have made it work well eventually but I didn't think that was worthwhile.

Proper tubeless rims are mint, though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • my experience of ghetto was pretty straightforward, two bmx tubes, bottle of stans - took me about a half hour per rim, too much faff? seemed ok to me, I prefer my faff to be done at home rather than out on a trail so I like tubeless.

the foam tape trick (fill the centre gully) can cure the initial sealing problem which is the only real pain with a ghetto setup, everything else is cake
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Getting it to seal was no faff. Getting it to not burp all the air out in hard corners was faff.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Northwind wrote:
    Getting it to seal was no faff. Getting it to not burp all the air out in hard corners was faff.
    This.

And getting it to seal. And having it puncture anyway, cover me and the bike in sealant and then take longer to put a tube in and wreck a pair of gloves because of the sealant.....

I swear I got more punctures when I was running tubeless than I get now I'm back on tubes! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."