Advice Needed

spamuel.taylor
spamuel.taylor Posts: 10
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm going to be doing a coast to coast bike ride in May so need to buy a road bike. I don't want to spend too much so my budget is £100 - £150 and I am looking to buy a second hand bike. I am 5 foot 6 - does anyone have any suggestions re make, model etc?

Sam

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    At that price range you are looking at an old steelie from the 89's 90's and make/model is going to be what ever will fit that they have for the money.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As you're buying used, it really depends on what you can find in your local paper / Gumtree etc. For your size, you're be looking at a frame size around 50cm
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks, that's a little more helpful than the last post!
  • Are you doing the ride to raise money for charity ? Sorry but at 5'6" a 50 cm frame would be too small unless you are talking compact down tube. You will be wanting a top tube length of about 53cm.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Make and model are sods choice when it comes to used bikes. More important is correct fit, suitable gearing and tyre clearance and mudguard rack threaded eyelets.
    If you want to train in winter and carry stuff, get a road bike with eyelets.
    If you want to ride long distance at a steady pace, rather than racing, then look for compact chainsets.

Any of the major brands are good and there are loads of decent minor brands so come back when you have a candidate bike.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I don't know where you are based but by me there is a bicycle recycling project that sell used donated refurbished bikes and give work experience to the long term unemployed at the same time http://www.back2bikes.org.uk/

You might have some similar near to you, try Google or your local council.
  • As Monty Dog says, you just need to have a little patience and keep trawling you local ads and looking for ones of ebay.
    I bought my first road bike from ebay last year - a Carrera Virtuoso for £120 - but you just have to have a little bit of luck that no-one else nearby wants it or know else spots it :D
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    biscuit959 wrote:
    As Monty Dog says, you just need to have a little patience and keep trawling you local ads and looking for ones of ebay.
    I bought my first road bike from ebay last year - a Carrera Virtuoso for £120 - but you just have to have a little bit of luck that no-one else nearby wants it or know else spots it :D
    thats the most likely culprit in his price range. a hardy bike.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Thanks, that's a little more helpful than the last post!

What I was saying is that at that price you will have few choices and it will come down to what fits.

Sorry it was not the answer you wanted.
    Yellow is the new Black.