Bike computer - GPS

delatierra
delatierra Posts: 11
edited February 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi

No idea where to post this but I thought you guys might know.
I'm going to buy my first GPS for bike, don't know which one to go for.
I use my bike to commute, sometimes to places hitherto unknown (GPS would be very useful), also for leisure (GPS useful when I get lost), and for touring - when this little device would come into its' own.......so far I've cycled round Cyprus and last year I completed the Hadrians Wall Cycle way.
The plan this year is the Coast to Coast.
So, I don't want anything too expensive (as it may get knicked and I'd be completely gutted) say £80-100?
I want the speed, mileage covered, GPs and I don't know what else, anything to make my life easier really. So I don't have to keep stopping to look at the map etc. Don't want anything too fancy as likely I'd not use those bits anyway.
Any advice gratefully received as it's a minefield out there (for a novice who would rather be on her bike than doing research into GPS :D )
Thanks
Andrea

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Hi Andrea

I'd look at the Garmin HCx Legend or Vista or the eTrex 20 or 30*.

The HCx has now been superseded by the 20/30. The HCx has some limits in comparison to the 20/30 - which you probably won't notice to start with but which may become more of an inconvenience later on: eg the 20/30 has more internal memory so you can load more tracks (ie a preplanned course) onto your device while the older devices have a limit of 20 tracks - but at say 100 kms a track, 20 tracks is not too limiting.

Your budget is a little tight although might be able to get a decent deal on the older models so I'd compare prices. The letters are important - if you see an HC it means that you can't put a memory card in - a limitation you might decide you can live with.

Be aware that the basic mapping on these GPSes isn't that good, but you should be able to download OpenCycleMap maps, in Garmin-compatible format, free or for a donation to support the OpenCycleMap project. Garmin's CityNavigator is worth considering, but the software is locked to the GPS, so I'd use it with OpenCycleMap to start with.

I wouldn't use a GPS for commuting, unless for some reason you work in a lot of different places - you'd be better off just getting a basic bike computer.

*The difference between the HCx Legend and Vista, and the 20 and 30 is that the more expensive model in each pair comes with a barometric altimeter and the other doesn't. I've always found that the the GPS on its own gives me a reasonably accurate altitude reading - with the occasional blip.
  • el_rey
    el_rey Posts: 83
    I do not have a GPS for the bike but have started using my telephone which includes GPS and maps. Some friends have downloaded Map My Ride and other apps. So far the phone works great.
  • pompy
    pompy Posts: 127
    I've got an older style Vista Hcx and its great, used it for LEJOG last year and it didn't let me down once
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    El Rey wrote:
    I do not have a GPS for the bike but have started using my telephone which includes GPS and maps. Some friends have downloaded Map My Ride and other apps. So far the phone works great.

There are pros and cons between buying a dedicated GPS and using a smartphone:

- using the GPS on the phone drains the battery quickly. May not be a problem if you are staying in hotels, but makes life more complicated if you are camping;

- if you use the smartphone abroad you can incur data roaming charges. Although there are apps that let you download mapping for use offline (and IIRC Nokia phones come with free mapping?);

- something like an eTrex 20 would cost about £150 which is quite and expensive gadget if you only use it say for a couple of weeks a year, but on the other hand you can reasonably expect one to last you for at least five years (and it would be perfectly functional for a lot longer than that).

On the other hand there are some very useful apps available for smartphones eg the Sustrans National Cycle Network map (now available for Android). If you just want a device that you can get out of your pocket when you want to know where you are, or where the nearest campsite is then a smartphone is probably the way to go.

A lot depends on where you are starting from. If I already had a smartphone and I only wanted a GPS for a couple of weeks a year then I might find it hard to justify getting a dedicated GPS.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    andymiller wrote:
    I'd look at the Garmin HCx Legend or Vista or the eTrex 20 or 30*.
    The HCx has now been superseded by the 20/30.

Be aware that the basic mapping on these GPSes isn't that good, but you should be able to download OpenCycleMap maps, in Garmin-compatible format, free or for a donation to support the OpenCycleMap project. Garmin's CityNavigator is worth considering, but the software is locked to the GPS, so I'd use it with OpenCycleMap to start with.

*The difference between the HCx Legend and Vista, and the 20 and 30 is that the more expensive model in each pair comes with a barometric altimeter and the other doesn't. I've always found that the the GPS on its own gives me a reasonably accurate altitude reading - with the occasional blip.

I'd agree with the eTrex/Hcx choice.
    However HCx have now been superseded long enough to need hunting down. The other option is one of the Edge series. These are a little smaller and neater, but have the drawback that they rely on an internal rechargeable rather than AA batteries, which means that you've got to take a good bit of care not to get caught out with a flat battery.

Mapping:
    The built-in basic maps are useless. The free OpenStreetMap is good where it's good, but has areas of poor data (check on the website). City Navigator is just about complete, and is available either on DVD (tied to a paricular GPS during registration) or on SD card (copy protected, works on any GPS). Something like £60 for Europe, or £25 UK & Ireland.

The compass/barometer options on the Vista & eTrex 30 are handy if you use them for hiking or if you have an interest in "amount of climbing" stats, but not otherwise. The GPS direction function gets more erratic the slower you go, and random fluctuations in GPS height can wildly inflate climbing figures.
  • I've moved from phone apps to a Garmin, and summarised some reasons for doing so here:
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/02/10 ... your-bike/
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites