Revelation 426 dual air oil

plugp7
plugp7 Posts: 298
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just about to do a bottom leg service and was wondering about changing the oil weight from the standard 15wt. Anyone do anything different. I have riding weight of about 90kg and am not a particularly hard rider.
Comments?
Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130

Comments

• Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    If the forks are closed damper/semi-bath then the oil in lowers is just for lubrication rather than damping so changing the oil weight won't make much of difference.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    What do you want to achieve?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Not trying to achieve anything in particular. It's just that sometimes recommended ways of doing stuff can be bettered viz. air pressures.
    So it's a question of if it aint broken, don't try and fix it I guess.
    Thanx for looking.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Well, the oil in the lowers is just for lubrication as said above, so changing weight shouldn't make any noticeable difference, I think. Oil in the damper cartridge is another stuff though.

PS, some suggest using certain engine oil for improved lubrication instead of fork oil, see in the other treads.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Also a question from me, when greasing seals in the air assembly do you reallllly need to buy fork specific grease? Or is that just a way of making more money off you when normal grease would work just as well? I dunno.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Well in needs to beable to mix and dissolve in any oil or it will block the damping valves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    nicklouse wrote:
    Well in needs to beable to mix and dissolve in any oil or it will block the damping valves.
    Teflon grease is probably out the question then