Rob
Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    maybe....carbon fibre giant cadex?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Same as Coriordan. Giant 980 c Cadex edition. It's certainly early 90s vintage, but I could never guarantee you it was from exactly 1992.

In fact, Rob, the frame and forks will be for sale very soon if you want to buythem for the office!? :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Anonymous
    Mine's been beautifully re-laquered by a CF specalist (makes Oyster yachts) so doesn't look much like the original.

Bit of chat here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... d6dbc3b405

(and a lovely photo of my bike when it was in SS mode about half way down)

Is it a 91 or 92?
  • Not quite, got a Specialized Allez Epic from '91. Does that count?
  • Why 1992?

I've got an Orbit from 1982, or thereabouts.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Yep, Vitus 992, in violet. Bought in September 1992 to replace a bike I smashed in France.

Same as this:

20110813Vitus992-46.jpg
  • Anonymous
    is this another thread not to be followed up by the administrators?
  • Nope coriordan - just try to avoid too much work at the weekends! The reason I'm asking is becuase it's our 20th anniversary this year and I'd really like to feature - if you're happy - some 1992 bikes. Be great if you could eithe post, or email me, a couple of shots of your bikes.

Cheers

Rob
  • Anonymous
    sadly mine is very much a project and hasn't even had a penny spent on it since I picked up F+F a couple of months ago.

I have some photos up here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65473577@N08/

and if you see link in the post further above, there is a photo when the previous owner had it fixed in track mode (with an ENO eccentric hub) with deep section carbon front wheel, whereas I don't even have a chain on it yet.
  • Yes, I think it was from about then. It is my current bike and still going strong despite attempts to replace it with something nice, new and supposedly better.

It isn't anything special just a raleigh mtrax 400 ex that cost £450 20 years or so ago. Actually it could be older by a bit. Reynolds 501 tubing IIRC and shimano 400 exage action gearing. It weighs 10kg (actual measured bike weight) and it freewheels like a dream. In fact if I get to the top of a hill a little slower than whoever I'm with then by just freewheeling I often catch and overtake people. That's on an easy cruise. I just wish it was a 9 or 10 speed and not a 7 speed as a lot of those 14 gears cross over a bit too much so in real terms it doesn't have that good gears. Other than that it is light, good ride and smooth bearings even though they are all original kit (spent a while away from cycling hence good condition).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Think mine is a 92 - will clean it and take a pic but it's not the prettiest!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    proto wrote:
    Yep, Vitus 992, in violet. Bought in September 1992 to replace a bike I smashed in France.

Same as this:

20110813Vitus992-46.jpg

Oooh that's absolutely lovely lovely lovely, always liked those Vitus ally frames, not least 'cos Kelly rode one :)

Please tell me you've built it up with Campag and not Shimano...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Thanks - Pross and twistedmetal be good to see pics if you have some!
  • Bought it '92, but it could be a '91 model :

IMG_3800.jpg

Still going strong...
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • sillyoldhector - just heard back from Chris at Trek UK and that is indeed a '92 bike!

Rob
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    A '92 bike you say you're looking for? Hmm, I see a feature about Boardman's bike from Barcelona being compared to a standard road bike from the same era.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • proto wrote:

Same as this:

20110813Vitus992-46.jpg

i used to have a vitus 979 fillet brazed chro-mo steel Peugeot frame, stove enameled in met purple and met pink with fade out . But yours is truly a thing of beauty . (-:
    Britannia waives the rules
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    This is my 1992 bike, i.e. a 1992 model – I bought it new in Spring 1993. It is still in service when I don’t take the Carbon out (like at this time of the year) and it’s what I use on the hometrainer.

6912920413_c452c940fb_z.jpg

It’s an Italian Somec Elite SX, 52 cm Italian sizing (53 cm UK sizing), the frame made of Columbus SL steel, chromed on the end halves of the front forks, rear forks and chainstays. As pictured, so including pedals, it weighs exactly 10 kg.

Many of the original components have since been replaced, but the anatomic handlebars and 3ttt stem are the original ones, as are the Look pedals and their crank arms, the TCO saddle stem, the Veloce brakes (not the levers though), the Veloce derailleur at the back and the chain guide at the front. The forward bottle cage is also the original, as is even all the cable tubing (but not the cables themselves).
  • Pross
    2012-02-21152706-1.jpg

Here's mine. 92 Ribble 653 (Deda?) frame; Cinelli bar, stems and seat post; originally Ultegra 600 group but front mech and chainring now Campag just to upset all sides! Saddle is a Rolls and wheels are Mavic MA40 on Ultegra hubs.

Here it is in its hey day taking me to my 25 mile PB (could have probably gone a minute quicker if I'd been using a skinsuit instead of that sail!!)

mark.jpg
  • proto wrote:

Same as this:

20110813Vitus992-46.jpg

I want this ....
  • I'm fairly sure my bike is 92, would need to check the receipt! Peugeot entry level racer that took me through juvenile racing, was relegated to winter duties then went away to university and was used for commuting and club rides. A few years of no use before resurrection as a winter bike, then converted to a time trial bike with bullhorns tri bars and deep wheels. Then back to winter bike and some commuting and just before I got married I used it to tour from London to lands end. A lot of memories, a lot has happened in 20 years. I'll probably never sell it as its worth more to me than it's value. It ain't pretty but it's a faithful companion! I have some photos, physical and digital as time has passed!
  • I have a Tommasini Super Prestige purchased new in 1992 and is in original condition and spec, complete Campagnolo build including Deltas, as picture below but know with nos Michellin Hi Lite amber wall tyres.

796b1b11.jpg
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Does 95 count if it's still brand new and not yet been built?

IMG_5873.jpg
  • Pross
    I have a Tommasini Super Prestige purchased new in 1992 and is in original condition and spec, complete Campagnolo build including Deltas, as picture below but know with nos Michellin Hi Lite amber wall tyres.

796b1b11.jpg

That's a cracker. Are the ergos part of the original build? If so they must have been some of the first around.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    These do you ?

Both look like that now !!

DSCF2700.jpg

DSCF2692.jpg
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    No. Got one from 1983 though, and another from 1997 :)

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    If yes, then I'd love to hear about it!

Rob

I'm not sure exactly when I bought my "Coca Cola" (Nigel Dean, IIRC) 531c road bike, but I think it was a little before that. Soz.

Here's a pic anyway.

b2.jpg

SunTour OvalTech for the win!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Have a look at this Gorgeous Chesini bike i found on another site - You would be scared to ride this and get it dirty eh :D

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/retro- ... 46299.html
  • Pross
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Have a look at this Gorgeous Chesini bike i found on another site - You would be scared to ride this and get it dirty eh :D

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/retro- ... 46299.html

Not fussed on that, much rather the Tomassin above. Would that Chesini have had all those stickers and the over-sprayed delta brakes when new? It's all a bit blingy for my liking!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can't help with bikes from 1992 but I do have some issues, 0 & 1 and others, of a magazine from 1992 called Cycling Plus. What became of it?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.