Road tyres?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking to put some semi-slicks on my GT Avalanche, as I now use my Boardman FS offroad, so I may as well put the GT to some good use.

Spotted a few on next day tyres that look decent, Schwalbe Landcruiser 1.9, Silento 1.75, Marathon 2.0, City Jet 1.95, or Maxxis Detonator, any opinions or other options please? Don't want to spend any more than £40 for a pair.

Comments

• broona
    They're Mavic XC 717's, a quick google seems to suggest they can take from 1.00 to 2.10.

They're currently fitted with Maxxis Swampthing 2.35's, a little sluggish on the road, lol!
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    if your commuting a lot on bad roads with glass etc i recommend continental travel contact light but virtually puncture proof. I do 150 miles a week and have had 2 punctues in 2 years.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • broona
    tarbot18 wrote:
    if your commuting a lot on bad roads with glass etc i recommend continental travel contact light but virtually puncture proof. I do 150 miles a week and have had 2 punctues in 2 years.

Thanks for the reply, will look into them. :)

Not strictly commuting, just looking to do some road miles through the week to keep up the fitness levels in-between weekends on the mountain bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm currently using WTB Slickasaurus (about £15 off ebay) bought them used and have done over 1700miles with one puncture. They are 26x1.5, roll fast (at 80psi) and are fairly light, lightest at the price anyway!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • broona
    I'm currently using WTB Slickasaurus (about £15 off ebay) bought them used and have done over 1700miles with one puncture. They are 26x1.5, roll fast (at 80psi) and are fairly light, lightest at the price anyway!

Simon

Thanks, but I think they look a little TOO slick for my liking, and I'd prefer something 1.75+ as one of my routes involves half a mile along the side of a golf course over roots and ruts. :oops:
  • The Rookie
    Yes, if you have really lumps to contend with I wouldn't use 1.5's, My Hybrid is a bit of a mongrel (700C hybrid frame running all MTB finishing kit including 26" wheels) and only has to cope with rough surfaced roads, I run my front at 60psi to take the sting out of just that!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • broona
    Just ordered a pair of Schwalbe Landcruiser 1.9's from Bike-Discount.de for less than £20 delivered! :D

Hopefully they should do what I need.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes, if you have really lumps to contend with I wouldn't use 1.5's

MTFU - I've taken my road bike through off road short cuts, have you seen the Paris-Roubaix!? One puncture every 1700 miles isn't fantastic either, I had to replace a Conti GP 4 Seasons last week (23c, used for commuting into London) as it was down to the carcass. 6000 miles without a flat!

Schwalbe are tough, but a pretty harsh ride, you'll not go wrong.
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    I have been mountain biking (XC) with a guy running 1.3 tyres, he did fine although climbing hills over very rocky ground was apparently a pain. I have also done some very muddy forest track rides with 1.5 slicks.

1.9 is overkill for commuting. Maybe that is me. Enjoy your tyres.
  • broona wrote:
    Looking to put some semi-slicks on my GT Avalanche, as I now use my Boardman FS offroad, so I may as well put the GT to some good use.

Spotted a few on next day tyres that look decent, Schwalbe Landcruiser 1.9, Silento 1.75, Marathon 2.0, City Jet 1.95, or Maxxis Detonator, any opinions or other options please? Don't want to spend any more than £40 for a pair.

I'm toying with the idea of the Schwalbe Landcruisers, I currently have 1.95 Schwalbe BlackJacks and have done around 900miles (around 50%road 50%trails) and they're now wearing out fast. The only downside to the Landcruisers seems to be weight but they can be bought 1.75 or 1.90 on ebay for £22 delivered
  • The Rookie
    njee20 wrote:
    Yes, if you have really lumps to contend with I wouldn't use 1.5's

MTFU - I've taken my road bike through off road short cuts, have you seen the Paris-Roubaix!? One puncture every 1700 miles isn't fantastic either.
    That was for the OP, I run a lot of weight in the panniers which makes lumps hurt more....I said one in 1700miles, that's not the same statistic is it and they are still going strong despite being brought used (about 1/2 worn at a guess), if you want to misquote at least be vaguely smart about it!

Simon
  • njee20
    How's it for the OP if you're basing it on your experience? As he's not commuting odds are that he doesn't have heavily laden panniers anyway. :?

Fair comment on the puncture thing, was just an observation that 1700 miles isn't a massive distance for a 'puncture resistant' road tyre to go. Read a thing about a charity ride in the local rag recently, 150 miles, 4 riders "and we only had 3 punctures the whole trip" - god I'd be annoyed if I was flatting every 200 miles.
  • broona
    broona wrote:

I'm toying with the idea of the Schwalbe Landcruisers, I currently have 1.95 Schwalbe BlackJacks and have done around 900miles (around 50%road 50%trails) and they're now wearing out fast. The only downside to the Landcruisers seems to be weight but they can be bought 1.75 or 1.90 on ebay for £22 delivered

Cheapest I could find a pair on Ebay was £26, €21.85 (approx. £18.50) delivered from bikediscount.de - http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a7356/ ... html?lg=en
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'd say go for something thin, the thinner the better.. there are a few 1.25" mtb tyres that are good for the road. My rims can only take a 2.0 min, so I am fairly limited.
  • njee20
    there are a few 1.25" mtb tyres that are good for the road

Conti GP and Spesh All Conditions are 26x1.0
  • bragawd
    bragawd Posts: 160
    mate i bought a pair of ContinentalTRAVELCONTACT semi slicks with 2 free tubes .. for £50 and never looked back not even a flat as yet.