Do other riders dislike Cav?

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited February 2012 in Pro race
Just couldn't help noticing when Cav wins a race the only riders to pat him on the back are his own riders. If other riders win, various riders from other Teams usually give a pat on the back or something.
Is Cav a billy no mates of the Peleton?

-Jerry
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The bits and pieces I've heard paints a picture of him not being enormously popular because his personality rubs a lot of people up the wrong way
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    anyone else think his chilled out in the last year ?...all through TDF (when he won) he'd first always thank his team-mates...the worlds he was almost humble...sports personality...ok so the guy doesn't do public speaking very well but he sang the teams praises and didn't seem at all brash about it....is the dude maturing ?!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Cav wins a bucket load of races, im sure most riders dont see much point in congratulating him, but if a usual runner up/non winner wins a stage, then i reckon they are more likely to give a slap on the back to say "well done".
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    turnerjohn wrote:
    anyone else think his chilled out in the last year ?...all through TDF (when he won) he'd first always thank his team-mates...the worlds he was almost humble...sports personality...ok so the guy doesn't do public speaking very well but he sang the teams praises and didn't seem at all brash about it....is the dude maturing ?!

Yes, he's definitely matured, as so many brash young men do. However, first impressions count, and Cav will probably need to keep his nose clean for a season or two before people stop criticising him.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Well the 1st stage he won the other day Boonen & Farrar passed him and you could hear their stares :D - Harmon & Smith commented that it was prob to do with sky not doing any work and Cavendish sucking wheels
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Cav wins a bucket load of races, im sure most riders dont see much point in congratulating him, but if a usual runner up/non winner wins a stage, then i reckon they are more likely to give a slap on the back to say "well done".

Yeah, this.

Guy who wins one race every five years is always going to get more congratulations than a guy who gets 25 wins every season.
  • turnerjohn wrote:
    More likely he is simply listening to what his PR / Reputation Management people, such as the Wasserman Media Group, tell him to do...

P.s. Love this shot of the 'Cav the chav' done for Wasserman. I think it supposed to portray him as an man of intellect, a thinker, sensitive and perceptive. Well, if the PR industry can persuade people to buy shite like "Sunny Delight", they can probably get people to 'buy' anything.

wmg_cav_thumb.jpg
  • jerry3571
    I have heard Cav moan about the lack of respect other riders show him in the Peleton.
    I guess he's so small, he got to use his mouth instead. Yesterday, he came off worse as he touched wheels with a bigger guy (Farrar??). Must admit I've had small riders move across and touch my front wheel and as I'm so muscular (fat) then I used to flick them back to where they were. So Cav's size must cause him some issues moving other rider around. I have heard Eamon Dean (bournemouth rider) grabbing a seat post of one of his smaller riders, lifting the rear wheel and launching this kiddie up the road; this could be a bit of folklore but you get the point about size.
    Respect is an issue now unlike the past where Team Leaders behaved like Mafia Bosses. I think Rominger may have said he only talked to riders who had hurt his legs. Times have changed!

-jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • jerry3571 wrote:
    I have heard Cav moan about the lack of respect other riders show him in the peloton.
    Have 'sit in sprinters' ever received much respect in the peleton?
  • jerry3571
    Sprinters are usually the biggest guys in the Peleton so they can lean and push most other riders around.
    If your 5 foot 2, 9 stone rider then a 6 foot 11-12 stone guy looks very big. ;)
    - jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:

Yeah, this.

Guy who wins one race every five years is always going to get more congratulations than a guy who gets 25 wins every season.
    Boonen gets a fair bit of congrats from other riders, (mainly Belgians who presumably he trains with.)
    Oh wait, Afx is still right! :evil: :evil:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    +1 again - There is usually only story with Cav when he looses. Imagine how frustrating it is to work for 150km day after day, trying every trick you can think off to stop sky/htc winning but the same cocky British guy (and I mean a British guy FFS Petain!!) still wins...

I hate to make the comparison but it's not dissimilar to Manchester United, but at least they have the decency to loose every now and again!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    When Cav thanks his team-mates, he's 100% genuine, of that I'm certain.
    Yes, he's cocky but his cockiness is derived from a strong inner honesty with himself.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    turnerjohn wrote:
    More likely he is simply listening to what his PR / Reputation Management people, such as the Wasserman Media Group, tell him to do...

P.s. Love this shot of the 'Cav the chav' done for Wasserman. I think it supposed to portray him as an man of intellect, a thinker, sensitive and perceptive. Well, if the PR industry can persuade people to buy shite like "Sunny Delight", they can probably get people to 'buy' anything.

wmg_cav_thumb.jpg

Clearly that picture is a cliche, but although Cav might be a bit of a Chav, he's no thicko. I've seen him speak publicly a few times and whilst his delivery isn't great his comments are generally quite observant and well thought out, and his understanding and knowledge of the sport is impressive, even for a pro cyclist.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Tusher wrote:
    When Cav thanks his team-mates, he's 100% genuine, of that I'm certain.
    Yes, he's cocky but his cockiness is derived from a strong inner honesty with himself.

Well, well, Dr. Tusher.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    As long as the lad keeps them wins coming I'm sure he couldn't give a blind 'what not' and neither would Brailsford. He is winning in a British registered team as the reigning world champion, TDF green jersey winner, so what if he isn't nicey, nicey all the time, he ís the most successfull British Roadie of all time and has a lot more to come. So if it as they say ain't broke then don't try and fix it I say.

417542_10150658013644524_527244523_11381917_2143515571_n.jpg

Looking lean :P
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Happened to watch the closing stages of the Worlds last night and he seemed to get plenty of congratulations there. Think too much is being read into this.