Old Bike for Turbo Training

rich96
rich96 Posts: 13
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Any ideas where I could find an old road bike which I could use for turbo training? Money is limited.

Comments

• where are you based... maybe someone local has something suitable?
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    buy a new back wheel - something at about £30 - 40 mark.

Remove your current cassette, and place it on the new back wheel.

Buy a spanking new identical cassette for your normal bike wheel.

Hey presto - a custom back wheel for the turbo and a new cassette for the road bike all for under £100 sheets.

Then, flip back wheels and turbo. Flip back to ride. You can even put a special turbo tyre on the dedicated wheel and life is good.

Buying a new bike is arse - the set up wont be the same, nor will the shifters, and it will be a dog. If it is the same as the current bike you need to save the cash and get a better current bike with it!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Scrumple wrote:
    buy a new back wheel - something at about £30 - 40 mark.

Remove your current cassette, and place it on the new back wheel.

Buy a spanking new identical cassette for your normal bike wheel.

Hey presto - a custom back wheel for the turbo and a new cassette for the road bike all for under £100 sheets.

Then, flip back wheels and turbo. Flip back to ride. You can even put a special turbo tyre on the dedicated wheel and life is good.

Buying a new bike is ars* - the set up wont be the same, nor will the shifters, and it will be a dog. If it is the same as the current bike you need to save the cash and get a better current bike with it!

^^ Wot he said ^^
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1 for turbo trainer rear wheel and cassette.

However, don't do what i did today....before going out on the road today (1st time in 14 days!) I released the rear brake, swapped the wheel and headed out. All good until coming down a particularly steep hill and towards the bottom I found out I had no rear brake :shock: I hadn't re-engaged the caliper after swapping the wheels over - I won't do that again in a hurry :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...