How many people are actually maintenance savvy?

2»

Comments

• spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I started early building RC cars aged 8, rebuilding real cars aged 11 so there's only two things I can't do
    Build Wheels - never tried probably could with the right equipment
    Bleed Avid Elixir 1 brakes - Following the tech vids or making it up I just can't seem to stop 'pull to the bar' moments. No problems on CRs or other makes.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • supersonic wrote:
    - those who know jack sh*t

Possibly i'm that type. Although i like to think i know a fair, basic understanding it's just the execution of doing stuff aint great. Forgetful, clumsy, lacking in confidence and all that.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Northwind wrote:
    Richie63, do you know your top guide is on upside down?

Funny enough yes and have changed it since. But as the frame was bought that way I sort of left it for a while then changed it later on. Had the bike a year now and it's fantastic

A Good spot and for that you can have some SAVVY Points :) you techy marvel :):).
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    <bows>

I like that you have my bike and also my workstand. We're like brothers, you and I.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I am proud to say that I have built a pair of wheels, a good investment of time.

I think I've done everything apart from replacing a hydraulic hose. Those things scare me.
  • SirDidymus wrote:
    I mucked it up in ten minutes, losing bits and forgetting where things go.

Haha - I've stripped down and built loads of bikes, quite happy taking on most jobs, but losing things and forgetting where they go is all part and parcel of the job.

Yesterday, I decided to repair all the punctured tubes I have lying about. I managed to lose the presta adapter off the pump about four times... Literally spent ages crawling around on my hands and knees looking for it.

As for remembering were stuff goes, there's loads of information at your fingertips these days, which is a massive help, but it sometimes pays to write things down, draw diagrams...whatever you find useful.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SirDidymus wrote:
    I mucked it up in ten minutes, losing bits and forgetting where things go.

Haha - I've stripped down and built loads of bikes, quite happy taking on most jobs, but losing things and forgetting where they go is all part and parcel of the job.

Yesterday, I decided to repair all the punctured tubes I have lying about. I managed to lose the presta adapter off the pump about four times... Literally spent ages crawling around on my hands and knees looking for it.

As for remembering were stuff goes, there's loads of information at your fingertips these days, which is a massive help, but it sometimes pays to write things down, draw diagrams...whatever you find useful.
    Magnetic trays.

That is the answer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I too do everything except wheel building. Having the right tools helps and there's always those handy little YouTube videos that taught me about setting up front and rear dérailleurs
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Magnetic trays.

That is the answer.

Instantly went on ebay, did a quick search and found one for £1.99 free postage. Bargain. Deal done. I think for me that will be so much better than putting something down, looking at it and hope it doesn't move, to find 3 minutes later its made an escape. Would never of thought of something like that either.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The only issue is when you go alloy or Ti for parts. But having a place to put stuff helps anyway.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I will give most things a go - mostly in the knowledge that if i do bugger it up I have friends who are proper bike mechanics! A few pints have been paid to pay my dues :)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Here's a top tip.
    Dont work on you bike with your minitures about.
    One minute i'll be fitting new bits or refitting something i'll turn round and one of them will be playing/banging/spinning/eating bike bits! :twisted:
    Also having a large gay dog poking his nose in where its not wanted doesnt help!

God i need my own man cave! the sooner the better!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    VWsurfbum wrote:

You're right enough, sharing your man cave with a gay dog is bound to be a bit distracting.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

You're right enough, sharing your man cave with a gay dog is bound to be a bit distracting.
    :lol: He's mans best friend still :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    same as most i'm happy to take on most jobs,, apart from the dark art of wheel building.. i did impress myself last week though having a go a trueing my misses sons wheel, i got it somewere near straight..
    i build and service my own bikes and am lucky to have a rich brother, with a park professional tool kit so have all the tools to hand to complete the job..
    i always try to encourage my little un to help with bike maintenance she aint to bad she tends to listen and help,, instead of making things disapear...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My First 'maintenance' on a modern bike was building it......a bit scary but nothing fell off, since then I've built 6 more, like Delcol the only thing I haven't done is wheel building....truing I have no problem with (just as well as the commuters rear wheel is on new spoke number 8 right now!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • One thing I've learnt from this forum, is how wheel building seems to be the equivalent step to advancing to Jedi status. Or so it seems.