Lift Assisted Riding in Europe

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited February 2012 in Holidays
Right.

I've been fortunate enough to find myself with £750 in vouchers to use through our corporate travel provider.

I'm currently recovering from some pretty complex knee surgery so I want to book myself a "free" short break towards the back end of the year (some point from Mid-aug) to celebrate returning to fitness, and give me something to work towards.

I'm weighing up options as to where to go though.

The obvious choice is aound the Morzine/ Pleney / PdS sort of area. Plenty of choices as to where to stay, easy to get to, and most importantly, LOADS of lift assisted riding to be had.

Lifts close at end of AUG, so I'd want to be going in the last week or so, around the 20th.

What are my other options though?

I'm not going to be doing any massively "gnarley" DH or anything like that, but I don't want to spend the entire time climbing either. Hence the reason I'm very drawn to the idea of lift-assisted.
I want somewhere that's not going to be freezing and plssing it down the whole time.
Would rather stick to the £750 (including flights from UK, transfers etc).
Only planning on going for 4-5 days, so no long-haul.
Don't want to drive anywhere.
Ideally I'd like to be able to rent my own chalet / villa so I can treat a few mates who are moaning they'll not be able to afford to come, but I appreciate that's a pretty big ask considering the budget.

So, make me some suggestions, mighty forum wierdos. Plan my Holiday!

Comments

• Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I've sent you some PM's but in all honesty as a friend lift assisted riding means a lot of hammer on your legs as you are doing downs all the time: and while sitting in small mountain villages eating and sipping beers is a great idea with a swollen knee might just take the edge off the experience.

Otherwise I'm up for it and I'll drive if you want. :)

Richie
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • That's a fair point and in all honesty, one I'd not considered.

I intend on holding off booking anything until I've been cleared to ride again and been out a few times anyway. If I'm still at the point in Jul where I'm not particularly fit, and can't do more than 20mile or so without blowing out a knee, I'll probably skip it this year.

Might just come and mooch off you for a couple of days ;)
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Helicopter for 2
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    We rode Morzine / Les Gets / Avoriaz / Chatel last year and I'm looking at doing it again with a bigger group this year. The bike parks around Les Gets and Avoriaz were so knackered from over use that I'm not sure I'd recommend them so I'd recommend more moutain single track. Alpe d'Huez will be my port of call I think as by the looks of it, the DH is mainly technical single track. Our stay of choice will be The Edge (Montriond); cheap, table tennis, WII, sauna and jaccuzzi for that knee of yours... It's a very good spot.
    Thinking about it, technical single track might be harder on your knee as it's rocky - at least the bike parks (excluding the atrocious braking bumps) are smooth.
    I recommend thisbook which is helping me plan some of our riding.