Which Bike should I go for, Cube or Giant?

jackselby3000
jackselby3000 Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm currently commuting (in the snow) on a rusty old Raleigh mountain bike which is fun but slow and uncomfortable. The other day the nut securing the crank arm decided to leave me one footed which it turns out does not work well. I have been waiting for the spring to buy a decent road bike and this has pushed the plan forward a little.

My choices are between a Cube Peloton SL 2012 and a Giant Defy 1 2012. I'm 6'4" if that is relevant so larger bike is needed. My criteria are:

1. Must be reliable for daily commute, shopping and trips to the pub etc. as cycling is my only form of transport. Approx 95 miles a week.
2. Must be quick enough to push beyond my current fitness and let me start to build both skill and core fitness for longer distances.
3. Must be comfortable enough to consider the end game which is LeJoG in May next year.
4. Must be affordable to my LeJoG partner as we plan to get the same bike so as to save on weight of spares. However his budget is less than mine so £1200 is max ideally less.

I guess that covers it. I never plan to do racing but who knows. I do not however plan to buy more than this one bike for the next few years so want something that will last and I wont find myself wanting to replace. Lastly robust is not vital but important as roads not the best round here.

Any advice or help would be great and willing to consider other options as I have no real clue what I'm talking about.

Comments

• m00nd0g
    m00nd0g Posts: 176
    4) Just what kind of spares do you intend to carry?
    I think most parts you might take should be universal.
    As long as you both have 700wheels you can share tyres and innertubes.
    Go for the bike you like!
  • 4) I'm not entirely sure but thinking chain links, tyres and inners. Maybe I had not thought that requirement through. That would open my options up a little.

My choice would be the Giant in honesty as it seems more distance set up and the cube more race but the Ultegra on the cube interests me.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Both make really nice bikes in your price range. As the poster above said you don't need to worry about getting the same bikes to ensure spares, it's all pretty cross-compatible and the stuff that isn't (e.g. campag vs shimano/sram drivetrain) isn't something you'd carry spares for anyway.
    If looking at Giants then see if you have one of their stores near you as they're doing 2011 stuff with 40% off (but obviously the choice is limited but you might bet lucky being a non-standard size)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I bought a Cube last year so I would recommend the Cube. However from what I've read the 2012 Cubes are not out yet in most shops, despite the fact they have been displayed on websites since before Christmas. So if you are looking to buy a 2012 Cube now, you might struggle to find one.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Ok I am a little torn a year round bike _ Giants i have had a few in fact I rode my 20 year old Giant MTB inot work today.
    Cube well what could I say my Cube is a dream to ride and i love it .....

so I would buy a

Ribble winter trainer/audax or similar re dolan or the like just great alround bikes fast and fitted withb proper mudguards.

If i really had to have only one bike instead of the five I currently own then my ribble audax would be the bike that stayed.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • There is a back order on Giant Defy 1's until May/June time. Apparently demand has outweighed supply...

I've seen the new peloton in the flesh and it is a great looking bike.

I'm going through this choice as well right now - i think if i could afford to wait i would go for the Giant but as i can't i'm either going to go for the Peloton or a 2011 Cube Streamer which can also be had for £999
  • I picked up a streamer in December and couldn't be happier. I think they look better than the 2012 equivalent.
  • Thanks guys, it does seem odd that in November I spoke to my local shop about the cube and they were sure I'd be able to get one by early Feb and still no one has them in. If it becomes a case of waiting till May I might have to rethink. It's amazingly hard to find a big enough 2011 bike so think I might be resigned to waiting. Means hacking about on the rusty old MTB a bit longer but it's not terrible. I have thought alot about the ribble too. I think if it's a case of waiting then perhaps a Defy is my best option. My local guy tried to get me to switch up a chunk for a TCR Composite 2. Now this is not out of my budget but I'd sooner have a really good aluminium chassis than a lower end carbon. Is this an error?
  • My LBS has 2012 Cubes in, my sister has just bought the Cube Agree GTC SL, i have seen it.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • kingderham wrote:
    My LBS has 2012 Cubes in, my sister has just bought the Cube Agree GTC SL, i have seen it.

Who is the LBS please?
  • Cyclexperience in Christchurch Dorset..
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Tredz (owned by wheelies) in Cardiff also have the Peloton in the shop
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Blazing Saddles in Rustington had 1 in stock (58cm) on friday and a couple of other Cubes including a Agree GTC Pro 56cm.

Tell him Adam sent you if that info's any good :D .
  • Just ordered my Peloton from Leisure Lakes Cycles - they assured me they were holding physical bikes in stock
  • Hi mate,

Just seen your post. I live in North Wales and there's a small bike shop near me that has the Giant TCR -1 2011 model on offer.

Here's the link it's any help, it's a bit out of the way from you though!

http://www.1868racing.co.uk/offers/

HTH. :
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I'm just about to make this same choice. My LBS stock both bikes so I'm torn but think i'm going to go for the Cube.

More race like, looks better, and handles better IMHO.

Think I'm sold. Not many Cube Dealers oop North, so look at www.cyclecentreuk.co.uk if you're up these parts.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • Don't have much to add, but I'm 6' 4" and have a 2012 Giant Defy in size XL/58.5 and the fit seems brilliant. My first road bike so don't have much to compare it to, but from the others I tried around shops it seem to feel more stable than the Specialized and Cubes. Plus, in my opinion of course, it looks great in the flesh :D
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Cube. Excellent bikes...

I have a Giant Defy 2 and a Cube Agree GTC Race and the cube blows it out of the water...

Ok fair enough the cube is a carbon bike with ultegra comps and the Giant is an alu with tiagra but still ;)
  • It's taken me six month to get hold of a 2012 CUBE Peloton Race and things only really sped up after I'd contacted CUBE HQ in Germany.

Can't grumble at the £590 outlay on C2W though, for the money I don't think it can be beaten, it's also a great deal more relaxed a ride than I was expecting.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Cube Peloton SL Compact 2012 or CUBE PELOTON RACE COMPACT 2012, or Giant Defy 1.

Will be used to and from work when not scratching around on an old Mountain bike to and from work 30 mile return trip and then the odd run over the Cat and Fiddle from Stockport and into Buxton.
    Fancy Tower to Tower next year as well for Christies.

Not had a decent road bike for years due to kids, wife, time etc, etc. So need all new kit as well!!!

Any advice is more than welcome!!! :D
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    I bought a Giant Defy 1 a couple of weeks ago.

Has been fantastic for me so far, and rides extremely well.
  • I wouldn't worry about brands. Try them both and get the one you like best. The differences in spec are likely to be negligible (Entry level alloy road frames tend to be very similar in weight) next to the small differences in geometry and feel that will make you prefer one to the others.
  • Cube. More bang for your buck
  • http://www.cube.eu/en/road/performance/peloton-race/

Just need pedals and shoes and my voucher to come CTW!! :D

Get £100 voucher from Cube as well to spend on kit!!
  • GIANT every time.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.