4x/Messing around hartail

mini_death
mini_death Posts: 98
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've been out of the scene for a while since my last bike got stolen. College, work, women, you know the usual story. Looking to get back into it again so I got myself a second job part time at my local halfords /cringe/ as a mechanic. (Couldn't bring myself to work for my LBS again, owner was a ****.)

Now I'm getting things sorted in my life I'm looking towards getting myself another bike. I can't bring myself to splash out on another full sus because A, I'll end up spending twice as much and B, I won't really use it properly.

What I want is a play bike, a fun little hardtail that I can still rag down a few hills as and when I fancy it. I'll probably end up using the poor thing for commuting too, save on petrol which is costing me an arm and a leg.

So far I've looked at getting another intense, this time a tazer, but I've also looked at the yeti dj. I'm more inclined to go for the intense, purely for the paint job, but as I'm really out of touch with the bike scene I've no idea what the thing is like to ride and there's no chance of a test ride round here. Anyone had any experience? The yeti dj I did ride back in 2009ish before they updated it and it was lovely to ride then, so any improvements they've done to it must be nice, unfortunately it's almost a pound heavier than the small intense (which is the size I'd get) and I'm not a huge fan of the black paint job. Turquoise and white looked absolutely stunning and I'd be more than willing to add a lb of weight for those colours, but the black one is just dull.

Anyone know any other really nice (probably alloy but I'm open to other materials) hardtails out there in the 400-600 quid bracket?

Cheers.
Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yeti dirt jumpers are nice frames, a friend had one and it rode well.

I wouldnt get an intense, over priced and funny geometry.

If you're after aluminium, check out the:

Nuke Proof Snap frame (looks really good and is reasonably priced)
    Transition Bank frame
    Santa Cruz Chameleon

Another one to consider is the Cotic BFe, this is steel but not too heavy. Its also got great geometry and comes in a range of sizes if you fancy getting something you can put the seat up on and ride comfortably.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sounds more like he would want a Jackal more than a Chameleon. And I'm not sure a BFe would be a great option either, think it would suffer the same problem as my 456, too long a wheelbase to be any good on pump tracks/4x tracks, good at jumping yes but not so hot on the pumping which really lets it down IMO for what it sounds like he wants. But then again maybe it would be different in a small size.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    The 456 has long chainstays and a long top tube. The Cotic Bfe doesnt. Infact loads of people use them for 4x/dirt jumping - have a look on their website.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited February 2012
    £400-600 and working at Halfords (My daughter spanners for a bikehut by the way)....Voodoo Bokur using your 15% staff discount? or a Fury (likewise).....personally I like the Bokor. What other brands can you order in?

Most the suggested bikes I can't see you getting for that money!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    By all accounts Nukeproof are doing pretty well on the 4x circuit....
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Just to clarify, I'm after a smallish feeling frame, and just a frame. I'll build the rest up.

Not after a full build and I'll be able to get any frame I want, if it can be obtained.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Stanton slackline has been getting some good press recently. Could be what you,re after...