Newbie wanting sportive advice

chorlton chimp
chorlton chimp Posts: 112
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Dear all, I would like some BR forum users thoughts on the advisibility of entering a sportive.

I have had a road bike since October after reentering cycling 12 months ago with the purchase of that well known gateway drug, the hybrid.

I am cycling for pleasure and fitness with resulting weightloss being an added bonus. I have shifted 2st and have a similar amount to get shot of. My riding is typically a flattish 30-40 miler at around 14ish mph on saturday and/or sunday depending on commitments but I did knock out a 50 miler before christmas at the same pace. I ride with a couple of mates but as I usually end up on the front I'm not getting any group riding benefits apart from the company. I also do the micro commute of 8 mile round trip to work three times a week.

I am interested in entering a group event and am looking at the 50 mile version of the Jodrell Bank Classic which is described as 'fast and flat'. I am not worried about the distance but I am concerned about the speed. Specifically I am worried that I would end up watching a load of lycra-clad blurs vanish over the horizon and then doing the remaining 49.5 miles solo.

I am interested in the opinion of more seasoned cyclists as to whether I would enjoy this kind of event or if it would be more advisable to carry on working on fitness and endurance solo and doing a sportive later in the year.

* mods - if this is the wrong forum I apologise, I have posted here as it's more new rider advice than specific event advice I am after.

Comments

• burtie
    burtie Posts: 154
    As the nike advert says Just do it. 14mph adverage is good going, but don't worry about everyone else just have fun.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Go for it, sportives are meant to be non competitive so don't worry about 'fast' riders coming past. Find a group of similer ability riders and have some fun. If you can do 40 miles now then 50 will be a breeze with the extra adrenaline going through your body.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +2 Just go for it. There'll be people faster than you and there'll be people slower than you. Find somebody the same speed and have a chat.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    +3 was similarly nervous the first time I rode a sportive, but needn't have been. As already mentioned, they're non-competitive, so most people are out to enjoy a good, long ride without killing themselves.
    You can usually start at any time within a 1.5 hour window - just don't start right at the very beginning! I made that mistake once, quite depressing to ride for several hours being constantly passed (even though i managed a reasonable average speed).
  • Hi C/C there is a sportive this Sunday starting in Poynton, and also another at the end of the month, there are 2 distances 50 and 30 miles if you google, north west winter series 2012 it will give you some details, its £15 pre booked or book on the day for £20 HTH,
    Gaz
  • gazman1 wrote:
    Hi C/C there is a sportive this Sunday starting in Poynton, and also another at the end of the month, there are 2 distances 50 and 30 miles if you google, north west winter series 2012 it will give you some details, its £15 pre booked or book on the day for £20 HTH,
    Gaz

20 quid! thats alot of cash for a short ride, you sportivists are off your heads :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Cheers Gaz, I had spotted the Poynton sportives but was wary of the short distance thinking it would be a total sprint. I am away this weekend so will miss the first one.

Thanks for the advice guys, makes me feel more confident. May will give it a whirl and report back.