correct bottom bracket for giant stp '07

gustie
gustie Posts: 118
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

i own a 2nd hand giant stp0 which came with no BB or cranks

i have 2 choices.

deore octalink crank taken off my rockhopper or truvativ husselfelt taken off my stab.

which would be the best crank for the STP? and what spindle length BB would be correct for this bike?

i will be running 1x9 for now but might use a cassette conversion to make it singlespeed and would like the right length BB to get the best chainline.

thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on the cranks.

with the info given the most likely to fit are the Truvativ. BUT what have you actually got?

cranks? BB? sizes? part numbers?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gustie
    i have deore fc-m442 cranks and truvativ husselfelt cranks. no BB currently

the STP has 73mm shell.

cheers
  • nicklouse
    are the truvativ husselfelt ISIS or Howitzer?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • gustie
    nicklouse wrote:
    are the truvativ husselfelt ISIS or Howitzer?

isis - sorry to miss that detail out..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So what shell width are the 2 BB's you have? (measure them) if neither are 73mm you need a new BB, if only one is, there is the choice made!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gustie
    i only have crank arms as above

i dont have any BB....

my question condensed is what length spindle/axle BB i need not what shell size i need as the STP has a 73mm shell size.

and what would be better for this style of bike - the deore cranks OR the husselfelt cranks

cheers!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personaly I'd say Deore, I don't like ISIS.......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    gustie wrote:
    i only have crank arms as above

i dont have any BB....

my question condensed is what length spindle/axle BB i need not what shell size i need as the STP has a 73mm shell size.

and what would be better for this style of bike - the deore cranks OR the husselfelt cranks

cheers!
    The Isis is easy. 113mm

The Deore will need looking up.
  • gustie
    thanks all.

so BB wise would the octlink style last longer than an isis BB? or vice versa?

would you say the husselfelt or deore are stronger/stiffer?

cheers...