sexy new bikes....

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
These guys (http://www.rulebikes.com/) have just set up in my area so a bit of shameless advertising for them to those who are in the market for a new bike (custom built at that)

All the employees (including the MD) are ex/retired Royal Marines and they work closely with Haslar Company (Plymouth) in assisting with the rehabilitation of injured RM. Not only that but 10% of profits are donated to the C Group, a charity which raises support and awareness of the work the Royal Marines do.

Bike wise these aren't you lightweight road bikes and are more along the lines of a Pashley (only better quality and build!). At the moment they are custom built but will be doing off the shelf at some point
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    That bikebuilder website is great.

The missus wants something like this once we've moved house. Thanks for posting the link.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Looked good up to the point of not working on iPhone; will have a gander tonight on the PC.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not really my cup of tea, but I wish them well!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nor mine, but some quality thinking there. If the bikes are as good as the website they should do well... all the best to them
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Nor mine, but some quality thinking there. If the bikes are as good as the website they should do well... all the best to them

My sentiments exactly.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Lovely website, had fun building a bike! Not my sorta thing, but cool nevertheless. 8)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Surprised to see quite Dutch and French looking designs on such a British looking website - Union flags and that....

Good look to them - not my thing I am afraid.

Rule - I assume to be from 'Rule Brittania' (with the Military connections?!)
  • Very pretty. I'm sure they'll do well. The need to get themselves into a few poncy lifestyle magazines. My fiance buys Living Etc and there is barely a house featured that doesn't have a trendy looking bike in the background.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Jonny: I think that's the next step. By all accounts the MD of the company is a bit canny at the old marketing having gained his experience as an officer in the RM.

Have to admit it's no my first choice of bike, especially for commuting, but I am tempted by one for leisure riding and the getting to places at some point rather than getting to places now type cycling.

I would hope their idea of donating a certain amount of profit to charity catches on with a few other cycle companies regardless of the charity of their choice.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Actually a very nice site on PC. They absolutely should include the price of the "add-on" bits in the drop-down list though; it's just easier. E.g. I get through to the chain selection bit, and it just gives me a list of colours. The additional cost should be next to the colour: i.e:

not:
    black
    chrome
    octarine

but:
    black (+0 GBP)
    chrome (+5 GBP)
    octarine (+10 AMD)

Right now I have to select each one to see the additional cost, and that inhales spheres
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.