Last Commute To Work

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Well, after 3 years of commuting to work it finally ends. Only doing Monday and Friday as in Edinburgh mid week.
However, next Friday is my last day at work, redundancy looms (happy I am!)

Need to clear out desk/locker on Monday, so last cycle to/from work today. I may well miss that Maryhill Road!

Been a fantastic time commuting on bike, and now will be able to do loads more.
Enjoyed the forum (even if it is London-centric) and will still be popping in.

Who knows, may get another "proper" job and if I do will insist on it having cycling facilities.

Cheers!
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Good luck and best wishes. Keep your chin up when job-searching; it's a hard, cruel reality.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • All the best for the future. i find that commuting means I have to cycle. it is too easy to have day off when not working. You sound more motivated than me.
  • Wallace1492
    Not be job searching for a while, happy to have time off, and spend the spring/summer/autumn bumming about in my campervan, with a selection of bikes. Hopefully pick up some casual bike related work (have TCL and Cycle Trainer qualifications). Lets hope for a long, hot summer.

Oh and a couple of months in Europe catching up with th TdF, a bit of Pyranees, Camargue, Alps.

Yes, lets just say my chin is well up and I am grinning from ear to ear!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Good luck with wherever you wind up. Keep us posted on what you're up to, I'm sure we'll all be jealous.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good luck, sir! Great idea. Life's too short and all that. (And the weather's not so good in Scotland, so best leave. :P )
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Not be job searching for a while, happy to have time off, and spend the spring/summer/autumn bumming about in my campervan, with a selection of bikes. Hopefully pick up some casual bike related work (have TCL and Cycle Trainer qualifications). Lets hope for a long, hot summer.

Oh and a couple of months in Europe catching up with th TdF, a bit of Pyranees, Camargue, Alps.

Yes, lets just say my chin is well up and I am grinning from ear to ear!

Good to hear! We went to watch the Tour in a motorhome last year (when I was unemployed) and it is right up there as one of the best holidays. The extra free time is a real bonus!

Enjoy.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I was going to wish you good luck but it sounds as if you have a superb year planned :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Oooh you lucky, lucky bastard!

I'm not jealous, though. Good luck and happy travels.
  • Wallace1492
    See some of you at the Etape Caledonia maybe, and think I will hit some of the East Lothian roads in the spring, do like the views and its good to be on the flatter roads for a change.
  • See some of you at the Etape Caledonia maybe, and think I will hit some of the East Lothian roads in the spring, do like the views and its good to be on the flatter roads for a change.

Excellent, we may have to meet up at some point. Obviously at a point where we wage slaves are available...
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    good luck to you dude, as already posted, keep us all updated of your adventures
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Good luck with your time off , sounds well planned of do all those things you want to do and the chance to crack a few climbs abroad !! Enjoy it all sure there will be some great memories !
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Good luck Wallace1492. Don't be a strangler!

(I noticed the typo, but I kinda like it so I've left it. Maybe it says something about me.)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Enjoy your freedom.

And stick around the forum, all the cool non cycle commuters hang around here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Best of luck Wallace.

It's really not bad being a non-commuter for a bit, I've been at it for a few months and going back to work will be difficult. And the commuter bike just doubles up a cheap road trainer in the meantime :-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    My last commute was on 31st Jan - enjoy the freedom
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    With these mentions of talk of freedom and given Wallace's user name it may be an appropriate time to post this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVqFY-TP54o

p.s. I used to work in the place William Wallace was born.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've been jobless since end of last Oct (although I'm about to get a job offer next week...), make sure you watch your weight! I have tried to keep up the same daily mileage on the bike but when you don't have to go out on the bike and it's sub zero outside, it's easy to sit at home and eating chocolate...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I've been jobless since end of last Oct (although I'm about to get a job offer next week...), make sure you watch your weight! I have tried to keep up the same daily mileage on the bike but when you don't have to go out on the bike and it's sub zero outside, it's easy to sit at home and eating chocolate...
    Keep meaning to ask how you're doing. Good luck next week. Wife had an interview on Friday, nerves made her tell a bad joke which didn't go down too well.
    Probably not as bad as when I went for an interview with a company called Fister. They asked what I knew about them. I told them not a lot as I was weary of putting the name into a search engine. MD not amused, Sales Director spat his coffee. Ooops.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Keep meaning to ask how you're doing. Good luck next week. Wife had an interview on Friday, nerves made her tell a bad joke which didn't go down too well.
    Probably not as bad as when I went for an interview with a company called Fister. They asked what I knew about them. I told them not a lot as I was weary of putting the name into a search engine. MD not amused, Sales Director spat his coffee. Ooops.

Yeah it's been fine... Loads and loads of interviews and a lot of interest but with the state of the financial markets most firms say that they can't hire me til at least Q2 this year so it's all been dragging on a bit. I have actually quite enjoyed most of the interviews... Some of them have been a bit challenging but a lot of them just end up in a bit of a discussion about headhunting, how it's evolved/is evolving in the current conditions and general gossip about people we know (it's very incestuous, everyone knows everything about everyone...). Would love to work for a company called Fister!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Sounds like a good way to spend a year! I stopped the commute when I left work at the beginning of the year. Miss ratcheting up the miles without thinking about it but I certainly dont miss the destination!

Give us a shout if you come out to the mountains and best of luck with everything.

Rob
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1