Compactsd and teenagers

viscountgeordie
viscountgeordie Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Would you please be able to advise me on the following query?
>
> My step son is 13, and is beginning to take an interest in the sport. He is coming up to Northumberland at Easter, and was wondering about how he would go about having a compact fitted, as he doesn't want to get dropped on the hills etc.
>
> I have suggested to him that he ask a local bike shop for advice, but his confidence is somewhat lacking. Can readers suggest any good bike shops in the Chorley/ Preston area? I was thinking of Ribble Cycles, but does anybody know of any others? I live up near Hadrian's Wall, so am unfamiliar with the road scene in Lancashire.

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Don't bother with Ribble. They're fine for cheap deals online but they're not a proper LBS anymore.

Try Paul Hewitt Cycles

www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Also, before you go spending your hard earned...

What ratios does he currently run?
    What kind of riding does he usually do (flat, hilly, short sub 1 hour rides)?
    What kind of rides are you planning to do in Northumberland?
    How fit is he? How does he usually feel when climbing?

Cassette change would be the cheapest option if he's got 25 as his biggest sprocket.
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    schweiz wrote:
    Don't bother with Ribble. They're fine for cheap deals online but they're not a proper LBS anymore.

Try Paul Hewitt Cycles

http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk

+1 :)
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Or there is Bill Nickson cycles in Leyland. It is just by the big Tesco.

Ribble ain't a proper LBS. As in you can't take your bike in for mechanical work. As others have stated I would go to Paul Hewitt or Bill Nickson
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    He is coming up to Northumberland at Easter, and was wondering about how he would go about having a compact fitted, as he doesn't want to get dropped on the hills etc.
    >

having a compact won't stop him getting dropped on hills, unfortunately. Having a better cardiovascular system will....
  • if he's racing he needs to be on restricted youth gearing. if he's 13 he'll be Youth B which has a top ratio of 39/13. there are other variations to get the correct setting but we found that was closest to the max one rotation travel. There is a chart on the BC website detailing the acceptable gearing.

never tried the front 34/39 combination and don't know how well it would work. If he's worried about the hills just fit a cassette with smallest cog a 13 and largest a 25 or 27. he should manage no problem with that range
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Pseudonym wrote:
    He is coming up to Northumberland at Easter, and was wondering about how he would go about having a compact fitted, as he doesn't want to get dropped on the hills etc.
    >

having a compact won't stop him getting dropped on hills, unfortunately. Having a better cardiovascular system will....

You love being a d1ck don't you - he's 13 FFS!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    ddraver wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:
    >

What difference does his age make. You can still be unfit enough at 13 that no gear ratio will stop you getting dropped on hills.

Or have I misunderstood what you meant.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    ddraver wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:
    >

It's a fair comment though. Going for lower gears means he'll just have to spin faster to keep up. It might save his legs a bit on a longer ride but that's a different thing. In my experience youngsters probably need lower gears less than us middle aged 'larger built' cyclists.
  • teenagers should only ride on their age specific restricted gears. pushing a huge gear brings them no benefit. They race on restricted gears so the difference is all down to cadence and bike handling skills.
    Think i read somewhere pushing a huge gear at a young age is bad for their joints... might have made that bit up though so you'll need to research that

However as i said above for his age the limit is a 39/13 ratio
    No shame in getting dropped from a bunch... and it gives him something to aim for next time he's out as he progresses. We love to think we were all attacking off teh front in our fitst race and setting the pace but in relaity most of not all of us got spat out the back and we learned from it. He's 13... He'll learn...lots of time to develop and train and race. Good luck to the lad and as long as he enjoys it then nothing lost and everything gained
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...