Mobile Phone contract issue

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Got new HTC desire in Jan 11 signed 2 year contract for "free" phone
Got replacement in April 11 due to GPS not working
Feb 12 - GPS not working again and WiFi intermittant

Warranty on phone has run out but contract still valid...suggestions on way forward please, when I go to see Vodafone.

PS like the phone for its browser and games / Hate it for dodgy signal and battery life. Would prefer a BB.

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If the phone is sold for 2 use on a 2 year contract, there is surely an expectation that it lasts 2 years, so just use the SOGA on durability.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Warranty on phone has run out but contract still valid....
    Sounds like this says it all I'm afraid... :(
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    Is it a Desire or Desire HD ?

If it's a desire I've got an extended battery you can have, if it's a desire HD then there is a known fault with the GPS aerial that I've fixed on mine, and can point you in the right direction..
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Vodafone should still be able to help you here. I'm in the same situation with Virgin and before I renewed my contract I asked around in the various phone shops in Bristol and Vodafone were one of the airtime providers that said the warranty they offer for a 24month contract is for the length of the contract. With VM I have 12 months with HTC and the final 12 months it is with HTC but VM will handle it for me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    robrauy wrote:

If it's a desire I've got an extended battery you can have, if it's a desire HD then there is a known fault with the GPS aerial that I've fixed on mine, and can point you in the right direction..

I have read there is an issue but the replacement I received in April 11 was supposed to have incorporated this or so I was led to beleive. What mroe do you know.

It is a Desire HD.
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    Redhog14 wrote:
    robrauy wrote:

I have read there is an issue but the replacement I received in April 11 was supposed to have incorporated this or so I was led to beleive. What mroe do you know.

It is a Desire HD.

I had 3 replacements from Orange last Autumn due to broken GPS issues. They all had the same symptoms. I eventually took a soldering iron to it and it's been perfect ever since. I used the method in the link below - It's a lot less scary than it looks. Unfortunately it's a design flaw, and I don't think HTC changed the design before discontinuing the model.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1318892
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    My Samsung Galaxy with Vodafone has a 24 month warranty. Just had mine repaired for free and I've had it about 18 months now. Very quick turnaround as well - 4 days after walking into the shop my phone had been to the repair centre and been returned for me to collect. Not sure if the warranty is manufacturer specific - it does actually state on the Samsung website that all their phones have a 24 month warranty so might be worth you checking to see what HTC's policy is.

EDIT: just had a look and HTC only offer 12 month warranty. Samsung's the way forward then if you want a warranty that outlasts your contract....
    More problems but still living....
  • SXI82
    SXI82 Posts: 30
    Definately contact HTC as I went direct to them with my faulty Desire phone, vodafone wouldn't help at all. My problem was that the phone kept turning itself on and off randomly, found HTC very good to deal with.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    If you got a replacement phone in April 11, how has the 12 month warranty run out?? I'd argue that you have 2 months left