Finally n+1

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Picked up the +1 from a mate last night. Needs a bit of TLC to some paint chips on the frame and a new saddle but the wheels, brakes and bar tape are all new. Mismatching pedals will be sorted this weekend for some spd-sl's and then some FG/SS commuting is ready to go. It's a 'Boeris' whatever that is and looks like it used to have the full mech at some point as there are lugs for downtube shifters etc..

bike.jpg

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    A BORIS? :shock: :shock:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm loving the Turbo saddle.
    So, FG or its ugly cousin SS?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Koncordski
    SS all the way, FG in london traffic = mental. IMHO of course.

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Is that an actual Turbo? Looks slightly different somehow, Concor? Nice bike anyway, definitely the way to go if going FG/SS (for my tastes) rather than a brand new effort.
  • Koncordski
    I'll get a better pic of the saddle at lunch, it's pretty chunky compared to the bontrager stick that I have on my trek so i'm not sure it's suitable for commuting. My only concern is the hill when you turn right after kingston gate in the park, not sure i'll make it up without gears! :shock:

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Koncordski wrote:
    I'll get a better pic of the saddle at lunch, it's pretty chunky compared to the bontrager stick that I have on my trek so i'm not sure it's suitable for commuting. My only concern is the hill when you turn right after kingston gate in the park, not sure i'll make it up without gears! :shock:

You will be surprised at what you can make it up without gears.... I struggeled for first couple of weeks, then suddenly muscles appeared. What ratio you got on it?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Koncordski wrote:

I can commute on a Turbo without padded shorts - very comfortable saddle.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I know its a personal thing, but I think a fixie is perfectly fine in London traffic. I don't enjoy riding my fixie along country lanes as much as I do in traffic. To me, fixies are more at home in an urban environment. YMMV.

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I know its a personal thing, but I think a fixie is perfectly fine in London traffic. I don't enjoy riding my fixie along country lanes as much as I do in traffic. To me, fixies are more at home in an urban environment. YMMV.
    I'd really like to try fixed, but already having a road bike, and a sensible/touring bike I'd need to make more room!
  • EKE_38BPM
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'd really like to try fixed, but already having a road bike, and a sensible/touring bike I'd need to make more room!

Did you try my old one? Next Morpeth drinks you can take mine for a spin. Its front brake only and that is on the left, so it takes a little getting used to, but you're a big boy (so the graffiti in the Morpeth toilets say anyway*) so you'd be fine.

*What were you and ITB doing in there for so long?

• Koncordski
    No idea on the ratio but it picks up speed quickly? Anyway the saddle has this logo on it.....

saddle.jpg

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    Koncordski wrote:
    No idea on the ratio but it picks up speed quickly?...
    If you want to know the ratio, count the number of teeth on the chainring and on the sprocket and then punch those numbers into this website.
    Generally speaking:
    quick acceleration = low gear ratio = lower top speed but easier to climb hills
    slow acceleration = high gear ratio = higher top speed but harder to climb hills

Most people talk about gear inches when talking about SSFG gearing.
    This goes back to the days of Penny Farthing bikes where the size of the big wheel dictated what gear you had. A smallish wheel (~50" diameter) would have a low gear, a big wheel (~70" diameter) would have a high gear. On 'modern' bikes, chainwheels and sprockets mean you could have a bike with a gear that would have been impossible to have on a penny farthing (I think LiT used to ride a fixie with 100"+ gearing) as no-one has legs able to straddle a massive diameter wheel. With too high a gear (like LiT's 100" fixie) you risk knackering your knees (like I think LiT did).

I think its fair to say that most fixie riders are in the 55" to 85" range.

• Koncordski
    Holy resurrected thread batman.

Ok got the dodgy brakes sorted out and it now stops as well as it goes. I'm not really happy with the bar height as I seem to be too far down at the front to be comfortable. I've taken a couple of pics becuase I can't honestly work out what I need to buy/replace in order to raise the bars up a touch. Also the top of the steerer seems to be missing a cap and it just look a bit unfinished. Take a look:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L ... directlink
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/s ... directlink

Can anyone help me out in terms of what i need, getting confused between stems and steerers. Threaded and threadless. :?

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    That looks like a threaded steerer with some sort of adaptor fitted to take a stem from a threadless steerer. You could loosen the allen key down the steerer, strike it with a mallet if it won't budge and see if it can be refitted a bit higher. It would look nicer if you got a traditional quill type stem for a threaded steerer.
    Hard to describe in type, easier in person whilst pointing and testiculating.
  • Koncordski
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That looks like a threaded steerer with some sort of adaptor fitted to take a stem from a threadless steerer. You could loosen the allen key down the steerer, strike it with a mallet if it won't budge and see if it can be refitted a bit higher. It would look nicer if you got a traditional quill type stem for a threaded steerer.

You're telling me, no wonder I'm baffled. :oops: Think the only thing for it is to take it apart and see what's what. I'd like to fit a taller and simpler setup. Quil stems I think they're called???

In other news the gear ratio is 52 - 18

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    76 inches - seems quite big to me?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Koncordski wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

You're telling me, no wonder I'm baffled. :oops: Think the only thing for it is to take it apart and see what's what. I'd like to fit a taller and simpler setup. Quil stems I think they're called???

Yes, quill stem. I have a large selection of hammers and mallets and do a good line in baffled if you need any help.
    You need something like this:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/kalloy-alloy-road-quill-stem-to-fit-254-mm-bar-clamp-150-mm-18-deg-prod21760/It's only a cheap one but the picture gives a good illustration. You'll need to check the diameter needed.
  • Koncordski wrote:
    SS all the way, FG in london traffic = mental. IMHO of course.

Hmmm... i'm not sure about that, I get bored of seeing all those soft feckers freewheeling everywhere.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Koncordski
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yes, quill stem. I have a large selection of hammers and mallets and do a good line in baffled if you need any help.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/kalloy-alloy-road-quill-stem-to-fit-254-mm-bar-clamp-150-mm-18-deg-prod21760/It's only a cheap one but the picture gives a good illustration. You'll need to check the diameter needed.

Well if you can figure it out I'll happily compensate you with a beer. I'll have a go taking it apart (tomorrow, i'm going to ride it tonight and don't want an accident!) and see if a quill will drop straight in there.

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:

Just bought one of those for my Dawes - it's perfectly fine (assuming a Boeris is no Colnago :lol: ) - basically, it is pretty much the same as the original Dawes stem (only shorter - which is what I wanted). So perfectly fine for a mid range sort of a bike. Not really worth spending more; it's a bargain!

The only bother with the quill stem is you'll probably need to take the tape off one side to get it onto the bars. Otherwise it should be a doddle.
    Faster than a tent.......