Brake Pads help...

Rushmore
Rushmore Posts: 674
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok

I have basically only a few rides left before I HAVE to change my brake pads..

Now I know there are different types you can get, but what are the pros and cons of each?

I have a choice of either;

Semi Metallic/organic

Kevlar

Sintered

thanks in advance for your help guys... :D
Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
De Rosa R838

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Organic, better responce from cold, get trashed in muddy conditions very quickly.

Sintered, Hold on better at higher temperatures, not as responsive cold, more prone to squealing, hold up better in muddy conditions

Kevlar, almost eutopic combination of the above.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rushmore
    Thanks..

Kevlar it is then! LoL

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Personally not a believer of Kevlar ones. Very condition dependant and i've seen them go wrong many times. Hard to get the bedding in process right too.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Depends where you ride.A set of SS Kevlar lasted less then 2 rides in the Peak District.Now SS recommend you don't use them there :D
    SS Reviews page:-
    by paul ibbotson Date Added: Friday 07 August, 2009
    After 18 months trouble free use of SS sintered pads I decided to give kevlar a go in my Juicy Ultimates.Unfortunately a combination of the wet and good old Dark Peak grit ate the pads after 1 dry and 1 wet ride.I'll continue with sintered from now on.
    One good point,on the 1st ride(dry)they were brilliant.

Superstar Edit: I have to agree with you for Peak District use Sintered is the way to go. The rock type is millstone grit and as the name implies it is very abrasive. Use the hardest pads possible!

Rating: 2 of 5 Stars! [2 of 5 Stars!]
    I use either Organic or Sintered,whichever I have in the garage/camelbak when I need to replace 8)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I got through kevlars in a month, about 8 rides, 1 in the peaks. Most of the others were gisburn so similar grit I guess.

Back on sintered now.
  • Rushmore
    oh well, I ordered them from superstar so they were cheap when U buy 4 sets..

I'll see how they get on... will be interesting to see the difference in braking.... if only for a short while! lol

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Rushmore wrote:
    Thanks..

Kevlar it is then! LoL

Kevlar and Organic last me approx 1 ride at trail centres in the wet so sintered ALL the way for me now.

But it isn't my budget.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    If you wear them out quick or plain dont like them, they offer a 45 day no quibble refund.