Garmin Edge 605 good deal

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Found this deal and thought I'd share it.

Halfords are doing ex-display models for £100 with a 1 year guarantee. You can get another 10% off by using discount code NUSFEB12 on checkout. Limited shops stocking this and you have to collect in store, but if your looking for a mapping GPS unit on the cheap (ish), this might suit :wink:

I reserved one last night, for collection tomorrow, and had a call today to say they couldn't find the usb lead or strap. Gave me another £10 off 8) I don't need the strap and have spare usb leads, so good result :)

Comments

• Pity I can't find one on there site at that price, would have pulled the trigger. They have them listed as 174 :(
    Correction, if you stay in Newton Abbey they have the only one left at that price......
  • There is one in Chesterfield, unfortunately no where near me. Still £90 is a very good price!
  • could you get a free map pack for this and download courses to it?
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Yes, you can use free maps with this - I use them with my 705. My only thoughts are that I wouldn't go for a 605, no matter how cheap, as I think the heart rate and cadence is more use than a map!
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • More interested in using it to follow routes so I don't get lost/have to carry maps. Is it good for this?
  • I have no use for HR or cadence, so this should be perfect for me :)

Collected it earlier and am delighted so far. Looks a cracking little unit and plenty of options on the display. Maps look a bit sparse, but downloading openmapsource as I type this, so will see what they are like.

@trickygb...if you can wait till Monday, I'll give you my review of it as out for a long ride on Sunday 8)
  • Ahhh for some reason I thought that it had cadence. Enjoy your new toys guys :)
  • I've got one on hold at chesterfield until tomorrow night but I'm reliant on my dad being able to pick it up and it's unlikely he'll get there by tomorrow.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing how you get on though, cheers
  • The reason they're selling them so cheap is that their batteries are completely dead. I called Halfords two days ago to ask about the 605 and the guy told me that I'd need to send the unit back to Garmin and get the battery/unit replacement. That takes about 3 weeks. However, let me know how is your battery. Maybe it was the problem only with the one in my local store.
  • @TrickyGB...will do

Mine was flat when I got it, but has taken a charge ok and been playing with it for a few hours now and it seems fine. Won't know for sure until I've used it properly though. Clubs monthly run is on Sunday, and I need to have a quick ride tomorrow to check my bike out as have just replaced the shifters and rear mech. Will try the 605 on the bike at the same time. They are a discontinued model now, so they have probably been sat for a good while and hence the duff battery in your case. Still got a 12 month guarantee though.

I have just updated the software and that went ok. Going to get a micro sd card tomorrow morning and will load the opensource map and see what they are like too.
  • Unfortunately didn't get out this weekend, but have downloaded the opensource maps to a micro sd card, and they are superb :) Far more detailed than the base map supplied, which is very poor :!:

Having issues with getting my computers to recognise the 605 as a mass storage device though :(
    Running Windows 7 on one, and Ubuntu linux on the other and neither recognises it :!: I'm sure I will get it sorted eventually though. This would then make it a doddle to transfer tracks, routes & waypoints so you can save and view your rides, which would be nice, and what I'd like to be able to do.

The unit is small and feels robust, the bike mount is excellent, and the menus are easy to go navigate(sic) through. Buttons are nice and easy to access and operate. When you are navigating it is easy to switch from map view to timer functions, and the timer screen can be customised to show from 1 to 6 items and you can change the order of them on the screen too. On the map screen you can have just the map shown, or have some data fields too.

Very pleased and a great buy for the money :)
  • Sorted the problem, purely by accident :!:

Took the unit to mates and plugged into their laptop. Unit powers up via USB, but computer didn't pick it up. So I turned the unit off and then back on again, at which point the computer acknowledged and loaded the drivers etc. Took it home and tried this on Windows 7 netbook and works. Not tried Linux version yet though. Been too busy this week so far.
    So process is as follows;
    1. unit off, connect USB cable to computer, then to unit.
    2. When unit has powered up, switch it off.
    3. Switch unit back on and (hopefully) it should be recognised by the computer.

:)