Replacing GT avalanche 2.0 SR suntour forks advice please

mitomaniac
mitomaniac Posts: 117
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, Just got into mountain biking and got myself a cheapie GT avalanche 2.0.

I have been out on a few trips and the SR suntour XCR LO forks are not performing well i have stripped and cleaned them and regreased them but they are sticking after a bit of riding.. Im not doing technical trails yet just minor off road allbeit very bumpy especially as half the tracks are frozen or very wet at the moment.

So im looking to upgrade/replace these however i can not find anywhere the length of the steerer used on these forks I seem to think 210mm would be about the right size but i want to be sure before i commit to buying a set. Also wether its a straight or tapered stem

Also good suggestions on forks that wont break the bank happily buy used if their up to the job.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can measure the steerer tube on your bike. Pretty sure they are straight but drop them out if you want to be sure.
    What's your budget for new forks?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Well i spent £130 on the bike so as close to that as possible..

Not sure of the travel on the suntours either have read 100mm some places and 120mm other places..

Found
    2011 RockShox Tora TK MTB Suspension Forks + Poploc for £150 delivered

and RockShox Recon Silver TK White 100mm Mountain Bike Suspen... for £200 delivered

Am leaning towards the tora for the money especially as the poploc is included too.

however i am watching some recon 351 uturn forks purely for the adjustable travel not sure what my best option is really...
  • cooldad
    edited February 2012
    Recon Silver - £110 delivered.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRETK/ro ... th_lockout

Recons are better than Tora, and poploc is a waste of time IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Travel is 100mm I think.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The trails we ride have a lot of uphills hence the remote lockout as makes my life a little easier..

Thanks for the advice

Dave
  • cooldad
    It takes a second to lean forward and lock the forks out. TBH I have lockout up front, and Propedal rear, and only ever bother if I'm on a road getting to a trail. If I remember. Never offroad.
    Also adds unnecessary clutter on the bars.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MY lovely missus just ordered me the forks :) winwin :D