Chinese Cycling Bargains!

durhamwasp
durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
What have people bought cycling-wise from China on eBay? And how did it rate?

Ive got a pair of Fakeley Jawbones for £17 and they are class!

Loads of jersey and bib short sets, ranging from £15 to £30 a set, obviously not as good quality as the real deal, but at such a low price they are worth it even if they only last a summer or two (theyve laster longer for me)

And ive just tonight noticed a fair few fake Catlike helmets on there, for like £15 and im not tempted!
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Comments

• Not so sure id trust a helmet from china
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bet most of the 'name' brands are made in China.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • durhamwasp
    Yeah thats what i reckon, probably made in the same factory.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    I got one of the Cree lights, and have to say it's great

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike- ... 245wt_1037

a fraction of the price and more than bright enough for riding in complete darkness at speed
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    I bought a Cervelo jersey & bib shorts .. The shorts were crap, badly fitting etc, only fit for cleaning rags .. I thought the jersey was cool and ok - till I saw a photo of me wearing it from behind/ side angle .. Looked like there was too much material around the shoulder / back area.. So that was 34 quids worth of rags then ...
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    cooldad wrote:

Santini, Nalini, Vermarc, Exte-Ondo, Castelli, etc clothing is all made in Europe. Mainly in Italy.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've bought lights, carbon rims and Oakelys direct from China and all have been great. I once bought a Cervelo bibshort and jersey and they were sh*te.
    More problems but still living....
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    amaferanga wrote:
    I've bought lights, carbon rims and Oakelys direct from China and all have been great. I once bought a Cervelo bibshort and jersey and they were sh*te.

Exactly the same experience and you, and that shared earlier in the thread.

Lights, sunglasses - excellent and bargains galore.

Lycra - rubbish, crap fitting, dodgy stitching.
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Can't fault the quality of a 2000 year old ming vase i bought off the net.
    bagpuss
  • durhamwasp
    never had any problems with the jerseys n shorts myself, just picked up the Europcar outfit for £15 delivered too. Even got 2 customised jersey n shorts sets produced from them, for less than £30 a set each.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    cooldad wrote:

Santini, Nalini, Vermarc, Exte-Ondo, Castelli, etc clothing is all made in Europe. Mainly in Italy.

I have a Castelli jersey and it's made in that hotbed of quality, style and design........... Hungary :?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    durhamwasp wrote:
    What have people bought cycling-wise from China on eBay? And how did it rate?

Ive got a pair of Fakeley Jawbones for £17 and they are class!

Loads of jersey and bib short sets, ranging from £15 to £30 a set, obviously not as good quality as the real deal, but at such a low price they are worth it even if they only last a summer or two (theyve laster longer for me)

And ive just tonight noticed a fair few fake Catlike helmets on there, for like £15 and im not tempted!

Would be interested in ebay link for chinese oakley jawbones, if you still have it??
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's not Fakeley. it's Fauxkley.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Fakely?

Ones I have bought in Malaysia before have always had OAKEY on them instead of OAKLEY, are the chinese ones off ebay like this too?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Bought shite loads from the far east, 98% of the time the goods turn out to be good value, don't expect them to arrive quick, but you will save a fortune :-)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I wonder if the fake Oakleys (Joakleys?) have the same protective qualities as the genuine articles? Isn't it possible that the dark lenses will open up your pupils further and expose the eye to harmful rays?
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,259
    bagpusscp wrote:
    Can't fault the quality of a 2000 year old ming vase i bought off the net.
    2000 year old Ming? Ming didn't start until the 14th century AD ya Muppet.
  • obviously,mings are copies!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have a pair of Chinese carbon bottle cages which look very nice.

Unfortunately, the carbon is very thick, the cages pinch the bottles and the lacquer is easily scratched between the cage and bottle making a mess of both.

Generally, remarkably badly designed and made. I think I'd stick to simpler items if I was buying unnamed products from China :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Bought a few bib/jersey sets most of them good. Unfortunately one was a weird shape where the bibs were too short in the body but also too loose on me at the same time. It had the strange effect of allowing the pad to get far too intimate with my bumhole. very strange.
    For all those interested i'm now recovering well after extended counselling.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    edited February 2012
    Joakley, Fauxkley, Fakely... Hell I thought it was Choakley's

Edited to add I own a pair of em, luve em, not as good as my real oakleys but I tend to wear em more on the bike for some reason.
  • Ordered 2 pairs of Choakley's, will get proper lenses when they arrive from an Oakley dealer mate. One in club colours, other to match bike. Hopefully be here soon! Got a great LED light, 30 quid off the bay, 80 quid in JE James for same light.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,088
    DCowling wrote:
    I got one of the Cree lights, and have to say it's great

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike- ... 245wt_1037

a fraction of the price and more than bright enough for riding in complete darkness at speed

Bought them too, took a month to deliver. Quality is suspect for the price they are superb