Where to watch TDF?

timmyflash
timmyflash Posts: 526
edited February 2012 in Pro race
Anyone recomend a village to stay in in the Pyrenees to catch the last 2 mountain stages of the TDF this year and to do a week's cycling?

Assume there's a bunch of famous climbs i can tick off in the area too.

Any recommendations of location much appreciate as i have no idea.

Hoping to rent a chalet as we did for the Marmotte - Bourg was perfect for that area, so something similar would be ideal.

Cheers
Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I haven't looked in detail because this year I'm doing Basel area for the first full weekend & 1st TT. Then Paris & final TT.

I stayed in La Mongie a couple of years ago and that was decent. Decent sized village & ski resort, close to top of the Tourmalet (which is done in stage 16 I think). Only trouble with there would be that you'd have to go up the Tourmalet at end of every ride!

I popped down to Lourdes one day to have a look around (magic water didn't heal my hand :( )

Also went up the cable car from la mongie to the pic du midi observation station, which was an interesting to spend an hour or two.

There are loads of ski chalets in La Mongie and presumably in surrounding area, have a great trip.
  • Hmm, being at the top of the Tourmalet has totally put me off that one! The best thing about Bourg was being at the bottom of Alpe Dhuez - will look in the area though.

Cheers
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you stay down in Luz Saint Sauveur or Bareges, as well as the Tourmalet, you can also head in the other direction and enjoy the climbs of Lourdes Hautacam and Luz Ardidens.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I went on an MTB holiday based in Bagners de Luchon at the bottom of the Peyresourde (and a few other less well known ones). It's a really nice little village which used to be a major spa town so it looks really posh. That said, any trip anywhere will need driving over the Peyresourde or back out of the Mountains and then back in so it's not perfect for getting around...

My Parents stayed in a stunning Gite near Bagners de Bigorre, which was a bit of a better place, although to be honest, almost eveywhere you go involves driving over a big hill somewhere
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver