Shoes and torque wrenches.

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm looking at purchasing some new shoes. Have always used Specialized in the past, but am considering Sidi and Lake as well as the new Spesh ones. Lake and Spesh both use BOA - anyone had any experience with this?

Must admit, I am being drawn towards the Lake-CX401 as they can be moulded to fit. My current shoes have insoles from cycle fit which have been very comfy and sorted out some niggling knee pain.

Anyone have experience of Lake?

I've also finally decided to get a torque wrench. Looking at the Effetto GiustaforzaII model on Wiggle (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/effetto-giustaforzaii-torque-wrench-bits/), but does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited February 2012
    I've heard good things about those wrenches but i've got this and it seems to do the job:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-btl-73-torq ... anner-set/
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got the Boa system in my Lake winter boots. It's brilliant, especially when you are wearing winter gloves.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I wouldn't buy that torque wrench. I bought this when I think I got a deal on it around 60 quid. You can still get equivalents for around that sort of money. As long as it's certificated, you really, really don't need a bike-specific (i.e. overpriced) torque wrench.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Torque wrench? I have this one and it's very good for £28.

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=STW1012
  • Yup - that torque wrench looks like it's about twice the price of one that you'd pick up at a (proper) engineer's supply shop - think I paid £60 quid-ish for mine with a 1/4" drive which is perfect for a bike-sized socket set like the Halford's Professional one that sells for about £17.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You could buy that torque wrench at ~£130, or you could buy this one at ~£20.
    Doesn't come with sockets (which you probably already have) or a fancy Italian sounding name.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Thanks folks. I'm not of an engineering bent so know naff all about these things. Will have a gander at the recommendations.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Double post.

• davis
    They're basically a compressible spring built into a moveable head. The head resists moving (i.e. turning force) up to a certain point; how high that point is depends on how hard the spring is compressed, really.

So, that's it; they're spring-loaded release mechanisms with turny-dial threads in them for controlling the amount of force required.
  • EKE_38BPM
    When it comes to bike bits, I'm sure manufactures think "Bike pricing = n x normal pricing" when n = a number between 1.5 and 3

That torque wrench is a great example. £130 because it says "bike specific" whereas torque wrenches usually cost about half (or less) of that price.
    Tyres are another example of cyclists getting ripped off. Compare how much rubber and other stuff there is in a bike Vs car tyre and then compare the prices.
    Continental Gatorskin 25mm ~£25
    Continental 175/65 R14 (to fit a Fiesta sized car) ~£40

Why are things like chainrings or chainsets so expensive. Its hardy heavy engineering.

• davis
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Why are things like chainrings or chainsets so expensive. Its hardy heavy engineering.

Because we buy them.
  • EKE_38BPM
    davis wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Because we buy them.

Not me. I just use lead nicked off a church roof and cut to shape!

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Lake shoes are very well made - I have a pair that are now my spare pair for commuting, they have a lifeetime guarantee and I fully expect them to last forever. Avoid Diadora - customer support is appalling.

Can't really comment on torque wrenches, I have a Ritchey torque key and seldom needed anything else...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    When it comes to bike bits, I'm sure manufactures think "Bike pricing = n x normal pricing" when n = a number between 1.5 and 3

That torque wrench is a great example. £130 because it says "bike specific" whereas torque wrenches usually cost about half (or less) of that price.
    Tyres are another example of cyclists getting ripped off. Compare how much rubber and other stuff there is in a bike Vs car tyre and then compare the prices.
    Continental Gatorskin 25mm ~£25
    Continental 175/65 R14 (to fit a Fiesta sized car) ~£40

It's economies of scale Eke. They make about a gazillion car tyres compared to cycle tyres. Try getting some more low volume tyre sizes, like ones to fit a lambo or something and see what happens to the price......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i love my specialized sworks, cant and wont say a bad word against them.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    The Boa system is great but gives an even pressure all around the foot. I have some Lake shoes (extra wide) to fit my slab-like feet. Sometimes I would be able to put less pressure around the toe area and more grip around the tongue of the shoe. I can't do this with boa but you could with individual straps.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You could buy that torque wrench at ~£130, or you could buy this one at ~£20.
    Doesn't come with sockets (which you probably already have) or a fancy Italian sounding name.
    I find there's a whole raft of stuff on my, not particularly high spec, bike that requires less than 5Nm, I would imagine that if you've got lots of carbon you might want something that goes to a lower torque
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • For 90% of jobs i use this

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rlz=1T4GGHP_enGB466GB466&q=bontrager+torque+wrench&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14301154026861659001&sa=X&ei=DQM0T_X7LMbG0QXir5CiAg&ved=0CFEQ8wIwAg#

Comes with a 4mm allen head but a sharp yank and you can have it out and pop in whatever size you like.

Most things are 5nm or thereabouts so does the trick nicely- and its cheap as chips.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Yeah, I know Simon, it just bugs me that something simple and lightweight (e.g. chainrings) costs more than something so much more substantial (e.g. a starter motor).

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I wouldn't use a torque wrench on my shoes...... ;)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    I've heard good things about those wrenches but i've got this and it seems to do the job:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-btl-73-torq ... anner-set/

yep +1 i have one and its the nuts
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    5Nm is quite high and they tend to be most accurate in the middle of their range (torque wrenches that is, not shoes). Try looking for one that goes down to 2Nm so you can use it to tighten controls and such like (I have a 5 to 50 (or something) and hardly ever use it over 20Nm, I can think of only 1 place on the MTB.)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver